Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

financial economics?

Options
  • 01-02-2012 4:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭

Hi everyyone just looking for a bit of help deciding on a project, ive to do a project for my university financial economics class. the title is fairly broad its the curent economic and financial position of a country of our choice (besides usa and Ireland) im just looking for advice on which countries would be good to do? i was thinking about germany but thats a typical one im just looking for a country that are in an interesting position at the moment and it was very interesting how they got there, i was thinking maybe greece? any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

China?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Belgium? Over the last few years they've reduced their debt by a decent amount, but at the same time they still have really a lot of debt. It might be interesting because in spite of this their bond yields aren't that high (as far as I know). It seems to be largely ignored; I can't remember the last time I heard news about it's economic position in terms of growth etc. So it might be interesting, and I'd say less likely to be chosen by your classmates than other countries which have been in the news more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

thanks for the replies everyone, I completely forgot about iceland I think i may do that. anything that ye think I should focus on? I think ill speak a lot by contrasting the way they had a floating exchange rate and the failing countries in europe cant do that because of the emu, and also that they could allow their banks to fail but banks in america could not because of the size. any idea what else I could focus on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

If the questions asks to outline their current and future economic situation then comparisons to other countries will only take up a small amount of it. I'd say you'd be better off talking about how they got into their current situation(banking collaspse, no gurantee, IMF loan etc, cuts they had to make then how it helped their recovery) and what the future is like. One thin I will say is when I did something similar I found it hard to get detailed information on what they did in terms of budgets because most english papers simply explained the basics. I'd probably select 2-3 countries first and then go information hunting and which ever country you can find the most information on I'd go with that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Probably a bit too late for a new suggestion, but I'd avoid Iceland as a lot of people are likely to take on Iceland.

How about one of the more interesting latin American countries such as Uruguay or Ecuador. They've experienced fascinating sovereign, banking and currency crises and some of their experiences have been particularly reminiscent of the modern European crisis, perhaps the Greek crisis in particular.

later10 wrote: »
    Probably a bit too late for a new suggestion, but I'd avoid Iceland as a lot of people are likely to take on Iceland.

How about one of the more interesting latin American countries such as Uruguay or Ecuador. They've experienced fascinating sovereign, banking and currency crises and some of their experiences have been particularly reminiscent of the modern European crisis, perhaps the Greek crisis in particular.

The majority of people are picking germany/greece i think, I was also thinking of picking chile they seemed to weather the financial storm pretty well and had good practices in place before hand. My lecturer said that a lot of the data is hard to get for countries so the country whose data is the easiest to get plus isnt common among my class ill pick!

thanks for the replies everyone im nearly finished it now, just looking to polish it off really. Any tips on what else I should speak about Ive already spoke about exports, currency, unemployment, eu membership, and infaltion. Im looking for figures for GDP but cant seem to find any simple yearly figures, any help would be appreciated!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

thanks for the replies everyone im nearly finished it now, just looking to polish it off really. Any tips on what else I should speak about Ive already spoke about exports, currency, unemployment, eu membership, and infaltion. Im looking for figures for GDP but cant seem to find any simple yearly figures, any help would be appreciated!

What country have you picked? GDP data should be the easiest to get I would've thought. How about (central bank) interest rates, as something to speak about.

andrew wrote: »

What country have you picked? GDP data should be the easiest to get I would've thought. How about (central bank) interest rates, as something to speak about.

I picked Iceland, I've also found GDP growth data in terms of output so I used that. I'll have a look at the interest rates now thanks. Any other help would be great!

• Advertisement

I picked Iceland, I've also found GDP growth data in terms of output so I used that. I'll have a look at the interest rates now thanks. Any other help would be great!

Here's Iceland GDP data. Google's great. Go to the World Bank link at the bottom and download the dataset to get the actual numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Argentina.

Currently booming in a world of Economic termoile, and also they were a bankrupt conuntry will complete financial industry collapse in their very recent history.

A true rags to riches story with massive amount of interesting commentary to be made.

Projects completed anyway stuck with Iceland in the end, thanks to everyone for your inputs!!

Advertisement