Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CWGC site revamped

Options
  • 31-01-2012 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭

looks like the CWGC site has been re-worked. A few extra fields for searching including service number, rank, awards.

It would appear. for example, that 234 Army VC winners were killed during WW1 and buried in CWGC graves. 443 CGWC WW1 burials/commemorations in Ireland.

http://www.cwgc.org/news-events/news/cwgc-launches-new-website.aspx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

I went on to the site last night to search for someone and saw the site then up and running,a few complaints going in yesterday about small glitches but that's to be expected.It looks good and so different to the old site.Pity they don't have a search for place of residence like Geoff's did though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

I would like to see them have some mechanism that allows people to connect to a record and say "this is my relative" or some such mechanism and add photos/details (a bit like the Canadian virtual memorial).

Sort of like the new site; still to grow on me I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

Yes that would be a good idea,a bit like findagrave.The new site will take a bit of getting used to for sure,it's a bit more complex when it comes to finding someone but at least it has more search facilities.I think the certificate is a bit poor compared to the old version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

I would like to see them have some mechanism that allows people to connect to a record and say "this is my relative" or some such mechanism and add photos/details (a bit like the Canadian virtual memorial).

There is an "Additional Information" field in the website's casualty records, which typically contains details of the names and home town of the dead soldier's parents.

I tried to have them update the record for my aunt, who was killed serving with the ATS in WWII to include this type of detail for her. They wanted documentary evidence before they would make the change, in the form of my aunt's birth certificate and army service record. I still have to get my hands on these.

I suppose it's entirely understandable that they view their casualty register as very important public record, which can only be altered on the basis of verifiable information being supplied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

it takes a bit of getting used to and there is a few little glitches and gremlins but with the new search options it makes it easier to find someone. havent decided if i like the new certificate over the new one yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

This site - run by a group of French and Belgian gentlemen [and one very beautiful lady], has a more friendly feel to it that the CWGC site. The owner on this site will also take photos for you on a more personal basis.

http://www.inmemories.com/

My grandfather's grave can be clearly seen in his photograph of Templeux-le-Guérard -

http://www.inmemories.com/Cemeteries/templeuxleguerard.htm

COLLINS W V
    United Kingdom Private D/9947 6th Dragoon Guards (Carabiniers)21/06/1917 B. 1.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

found 2 locations of casualties that i couldn't find on the old site. i used their service numbers and they came up. so i'm liking it more and more.

Advertisement