Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A dental giggle

Options
  • 31-01-2012 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Hello my toothy friends!

Could I be a boards first for erupting into barely controlled laughter mid root canal treatment?

You may remember me from a thread last month "first dentist visit in 13 years or so.." I remind you about this for context.

Did you all hear about the US dentist jailed for using paper clips in root canal treatments to save money?

Well no prizes for guessing where I was listening to the radio when hearing this this morning for the first time..

dentist chuckled nervously, made reassuring noises..I on the other hand erupted.. Ahh how far I have come!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dianthus

We'd a similar episode last week when Haddaways' song "What is love(baby don't hurt me)" came on the radio just a really nervous patient was about to receive an injection....he thought it very apt alright!
    Paperclip notwithstanding, thank you for dispelling the urban myth that is the dreaded root canal :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Try having a 1 1/2 hour root-canal with a well known Dublin based God-complex Endodontist who likes to play Wagner and throw his tools on the floor when working.

Now, try paying €1.5K for the above session just have the tooth eventually crumble apart four weeks later and see why I'm not laughing.

Then, go for an implant on said missing tooth, only to find that you need to have a sinus-lift procedure first. The sound of metal-on-metal as my sinus was 'up-fractured' with a chisel and small toffee-smashing hammer (I'm sure there's a proper dental term for said tool) was an experience I'll take with me to the grave.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Shhh

Try having a 1 1/2 hour root-canal with a well known Dublin based God-complex Endodontist who likes to play Wagner and throw his tools on the floor when working.

Now, try paying €1.5K for the above session just have the tooth eventually crumble apart four weeks later and see why I'm not laughing.

Then, go for an implant on said missing tooth, only to find that you need to have a sinus-lift procedure first. The sound of metal-on-metal as my sinus was 'up-fractured' with a chisel and small toffee-smashing hammer (I'm sure there's a proper dental term for said tool) was an experience I'll take with me to the grave.

Ahh.. Not laughing then I see.. I can give you my dentist's number if you like :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

I'm not one to visit a dentist regularly, and rarely find it a laughing matter, but last year I had quite a bit of work done. My dentist was female and with each appointment her pregnancy was more and more obvious. Wary of having to visit another dentist, I organised to have all necessary appointments before she went on maternity leave.
    My last appointment was the day she was going on maternity leave. She was huge, and was sitting on a stool examining me when she asked me to try to keep my head still. I burst into giggles and explained that her unborn child was kicking me.

Advertisement