Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blood Tests

Options
  • 31-01-2012 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Recently I have been diagnosed with a long term illness and have to go on a drug which necessitates weekly blood tests. I am very hard to get blood out of and this has become harder due to being in steroids also. Just wondering what happens when they fail to get blood out of your arm or hands. Most times I have had to have two phlebotomists try me before they get enough blood out. But i am waiting for the day when both of them fail. . . .Maybe I shouldn't be asking this question and scaring myself. Do they try get it from other veins elsewhere? Do they make you come back another day? I have already experienced the running hands under hot water and putting surgical gloves full of hot water on my hands first.

Also is there anything I can do to make it easier on them and me before going in to them? I have heard of drinking water before hand, anything else?

Thanks all!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

A friend has it taken out of her foot.Lots of water, plenty greens and be really warm going in.Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭bluebell1

I also have a long term illness and have really awful veins to the point where my doc is delighted if he can get 2mls out of me. If they can't get in through your hands / arms they will go to your feet ( only experienced this while as an inpatient). sore for a few mins but they will numb the area for you and if they don't offer ask! I find putting a hot pack / hot water bottle on my arms helps and also making sure that you have eaten and are fully hydrated. Feel free to pm if you have any more queries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

I have to get bloods done every three weeks. I have "baby" veins, so they use a butterfly needle on me, and they have gotten blood from my feet/back of hand numerous times.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

Yeah they use the blue butterfly needles on me too.....

So feet seems to be the next option then,that's good to know, is it really painful?or similar to top of the hand. . .

On wednesday just gone they took it from between my knuckles beside my baby finger and that was quite sore. . .This was in hospital as an outpatient by the way. Wonder do they do the foot thing there?

I was fearing someone saying a femoral stab was used, this comes from the groin which really doesn't sound pleasant.one phlebotomist said this to me but I wasn't sure if she was joking, she wouldn't answer when I asked what it was so had to google it,doesn't sound like something they would do in normal circumstances. . . Anyway, that's what spurred me on to enquire here.

Blood tests are a pain when you have such small inaccessible veins!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Ironmaiden11

Make sure you don't get anemia with that grueling regime. You dont want that as youll get low blood pressure which makes the situation worse. Take an iron tonic from time to time...one with just iron and b vitamins. Sorry for you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

Well, it finally happened, went for blood test yesterday evening and they couldn't get anything out if my arms or hands, they tried 6 times and nothing. . .

They didn't try my feet though, just told me to tell my consultant and see what be says, he is sending me back again next Monday again but has said that it can happen when I am getting blood taken as frequently as I am.... Fingers crossed for next week now, I won't wear tights just I case anyway, ugh!

Advertisement