Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

test drives when selling

Options
  • 31-01-2012 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭

Thinking strongly about selling my bike. Need the money unfortunately and can do with saving on insurance repayments too.

My question is regarding test drives when people come out to view it. I understand that people want to take it for a spin before buying but I'd be concerned about insurance. Don't fancy the idea of some chap taking it out for a spin who's not use to it, regardless of him leaving money with me or not. It is unreasonable to excpect someone to buy it with out driving it too though. It's not like a car where you can take the buyer for a spin.

For people who have sold bikes privately before, what way did you handle it. I'd rather sell privately than sell back to a shop as the shop will obviously pay under market value in order to profit from selling it on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭Wossack

Meet the buyer up on a carpark and let him drive it around within view of ya - with the money in your hand. That way ye can keep an eye on him, he gets to test it, and the insurance isnt too much an issue

Though, my bike policy allows me ride any other insured bike, not owned by me, 3rd party.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Alkers

Sold two bikes, let them both take a spin beforehand.
    One was viewing bike in my house, left his car (which was worth more than the bike I was selling) outside my house but I did check that there was no-one in the car.
    The second I met at Honda Ballymount, he was on a bike also (R1 iirc) and offered me his keys while he took a test spin on mine, I didn't even bother taking them off him as he had a high postcount on biker.ie so I could trust him.
    Never did anything with insurance either time, not worth the hassle imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Syllabus

full asking price as a deposit or no test drive

end of.

no matter how nice a person they are or what they promise you, if they bin itthey will not pay for it and you have no come back

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Ya id just ask for the money in cash up front. Once you have that then insurance does not matter.

If they write off the bike or even just ding it you have the money. Just make sure they are aware that if they crash it they buy it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

According to a bike shop along the quays in Dublin "no one in ireland has taken a test drive on a bike in 30 years" when my mate asked for a test drive :rolleyes:
    Full cash for a test drive is the only way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭mikesp

Paparazzo wrote: »

That.is! If someone wants a test drive, full cash in advance or a ride while you drive.

I've read some people on international forums with their bikes crashed by buyers and getting a "Sorry mate, see ya!". It's not common, but it happens.
    One was viewing bike in my house, left his car (which was worth more than the bike I was selling) outside my house but I did check that there was no-one in the car.

What if the car was stolen? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 T954

Paparazzo wrote: »
    According to a bike shop along the quays in Dublin "no one in ireland has taken a test drive on a bike in 30 years" when my mate asked for a test drive :rolleyes:

So ask this 'dealer' has he heard of the BMW dealers?? They will happily give you a test ride. I've taken three new bikes from BMW out in the last 6 years or so. In Cork and Dublin. Copy of your licence and leave your own bike there and off you go...although I did book in advance. Also when I bought a 2nd hand 929 about 7 years ago the dealer (who i didn't know) let me take it out for a test ride....cause I wanted to know if the rattle was just the chain tensioner, which would be replaced. With the test ride thing I wouldn't really take no for an answer. Why hand over thousands of euro only to discover that you hate the riding position or the engine is too weak or strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,946 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

T954 wrote: »
    So ask this 'dealer' has he heard of the BMW dealers?? They will happily give you a test ride. I've taken three new bikes from BMW out in the last 6 years or so. In Cork and Dublin. Copy of your licence and leave your own bike there and off you go...although I did book in advance. Also when I bought a 2nd hand 929 about 7 years ago the dealer (who i didn't know) let me take it out for a test ride....cause I wanted to know if the rattle was just the chain tensioner, which would be replaced. With the test ride thing I wouldn't really take no for an answer. Why hand over thousands of euro only to discover that you hate the riding position or the engine is too weak or strong.

There's a difference between a dealer loosing a bike on a test drive and Joe public handing the keys over to a total stranger for a test ride, since your insurance won't cover the theft.

Dealers need to sell, so take account of potential theft in the purchase and sale price, TBH I was amazed at how lackadaisical car test drives where.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 T954

Del2005 wrote: »
    There's a difference between a dealer loosing a bike on a test drive and Joe public handing the keys over to a total stranger for a test ride, since your insurance won't cover the theft.

Dealers need to sell, so take account of potential theft in the purchase and sale price, TBH I was amazed at how lackadaisical car test drives where.

I'm well aware of that. My post had absolutely nothing to do with a private owner handing the keys of their bike to a stranger. The point of my post was to express surprise that a supposed 'dealer' won't give a test ride....because according to this person no one in ireland has had a test ride in 30 years which is rubbish of the highest order.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

There is the question of your criminal liability if permitting someone without insurance to ride your bike. AFAIK.

If there is a criminal liability then:

You would have the cops dealing with you in the event of the buyer pranging your bike. And the prospect of a civil case against you from a third party affected by the prang.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

When I was selling my bike privately I insisted on proof of insurance before allowing a test - ride. If you couldn't prove you had comprehensive cover on it, you weren't getting the keys.
    Del2005 wrote: »
    TBH I was amazed at how lackadaisical car test drives where.

Me too! The first time I bought a car the dealer sat in the passenger seat for the test drive. TBH, with the way he was goading me to get the turbo spinning up it may have been part of his sales technique. The last car I bought the dealer brought the car around, left the engine running, told me "Drive on there and tell me what you think" and went to get a coffee - no questions asked. Went with my sister's when they were test driving cars and usually just got thrown the keys no questions asked too. In one garage they barely looked up - just said the keys were in it and to work away.

Maybe I have an honest face....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I'd leave em work away. Think half the town is already after riding my bike. Few strangers mentioned my bike to me a few times over the ywars and I sent em off for a spin on it lol. Suppose I been lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Don't know if I would allow it, but I have had test drives off two different dealers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

T954 wrote: »
    I'm well aware of that. My post had absolutely nothing to do with a private owner handing the keys of their bike to a stranger. The point of my post was to express surprise that a supposed 'dealer' won't give a test ride....because according to this person no one in ireland has had a test ride in 30 years which is rubbish of the highest order.

That's exactly it, rubbish of the highest order. It was my mate buying, I told him to stay away if that's what they said. God knows what other crap they'd tell you. He bought his bike privately in the end.

Advertisement