Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical Card Extraction under anasthetic

Options
  • 31-01-2012 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭

Is this possible?
    My sister needs 3 teeth pulled but is terrified of dentists
    She has a full medical card
    Is there a way she can get her teeth extracted under general anasthetic via the medical card scheme I'd say she'd pay the balance between what the medical card entitles her to and the cost of the extractions (if its not crazy money)

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭hg03 eyu

The health board does extractions under GA only for young children and special needs patients.

So unless your sister is one of the above the answer to your question is no!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Dentists cannot top up their medical card treatments. You sister either takes what the medical card provides or can go private there is no halfway. You could look for an oral surgeon with a GA list, of a dentist that treats under sedation.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭breedie

It depends on the individual case. I had two extractions under GA on medical card and don't belong in either category outlined above.

In my case, I was automatically referred by my dentist. I have the utmost sympathy for your sister and was wondering if perhaps your dentist (or GP in consultation with dentist)could prescribe something for her to take beforehand so she's not so tense? Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭georgieporgy

breedie wrote: »
    It depends on the individual case. I had two extractions under GA on medical card and don't belong in either category outlined above.

In my case, I was automatically referred by my dentist. I have the utmost sympathy for your sister and was wondering if perhaps your dentist (or GP in consultation with dentist)could prescribe something for her to take beforehand so she's not so tense? Good luck with it.

were they 2 impacted wisdom teeth? those are the usual cases done under GA.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭breedie

No, they weren't and in fact I was only referred for one tooth but at the consultation I was asked if I'd like another removed as well "while they were there". Perhaps I was just lucky...............

• Advertisement
Advertisement