Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop repair in Ennis..?

Options
  • 31-01-2012 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

Hi all,

Anyone recommend a laptop repairs service in the Ennis area? :confused:

Only one I know of is The Computer Store and I wouldn't give them a penny tbh <snip>.

Surely there must be a lot of people doing this kind of thing from home these days, in the current climate an' all that?

Kind of in a hurry to get it fixed too, all feedback appreciated..cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

If you have a car, drive to Scarriff to Hogan Computer. It's on the main square. The guy is brilliant, he manages to fix everything, did magic with my laptop. Call him first.

http://www.visitclare.net/internetcafe.php

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

What kind of problem is it? PM me and I will see if I can help

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Inkyhead

Cheers for the suggestion on Hogans. Scariff is a bit out of the way though tbh, I live in Ennis and work in Shannon. Surely there has to be someone in town folks??

Also, as I just PM'd Battleflag, the problem is not a software one: there was liquid spilled onto the keyboard and it leaked down into the computer. May have short circuited it, coz it's goosed altogether now and won't start.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Sounds like you're going to need a new system board at least, try getting a sealed box and filling it with as many of those cel packs you get in shoe boxes (and the likes) as you can get your hands on, otherwise it maybe cheaper to get a new laptop by the time you start replacing parts

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I eddited the main op due to an attack (even if just an opinion) on a business

• Advertisement

Oops, sorry 'bout that, just an opinion as you said.

I'd rather get it fixed if I could. It was a quite expensive custom built laptop from Dell. To get the same spec on a new laptop would be more expensive than paying for the repairs.

Any other suggestions of people doing repairs in the area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Depends on the make and age of the laptop. If it is high spec and relatively new it may be worthwhile fixing. Other than that a replacement MB on an older machine may be uneconomical when you take into consideration current prices, upgrading etc.

The laptop I am using at the moment is on its third motherboard so far. :p

It's a Dell Inspiron 1720 with loads of extras, widescreen, extra memory, processor etc. It's about 5 years old. I dunno really.

I only repaced the motherboard a few months ago :( The older one had calfed because it overheated so I got a full service on the machine. The thing is the guy I got to do it took an absolute age and it cost a load.

I'd like someone to look at it, diagnose the problem for certain and give me a repair quote. I could make decision then.

I would have thought a load of people would be providing this kind of service nowadays..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Inkyhead wrote: »
    Oops, sorry 'bout that, just an opinion as you said.

I'd rather get it fixed if I could. It was a quite expensive custom built laptop from Dell. To get the same spec on a new laptop would be more expensive than paying for the repairs.

Any other suggestions of people doing repairs in the area?

First thing first.

I would suggest going on eBay and finding a motherboard that fits. It doesn't matter who you do end up going with, laptop motherboards are all different, and no one you take it to will have it in stock so you will have to source the part yourself.

If you go on eBay you can find what you need there. If you can't find one on eBay chances are you aren't going to source one anywhere else. This will also give you an idea of what it will cost you for the job, for the part at least.

Also remember when it comes to motherboards it's could also be the processor and/or RAM as well because when a motherboard blows it sometimes takes the processor and RAM with it, so even if you do find what you need, purchase it, and get it installed you may end up having to go back and buy a new processor and RAM and then paying to have them installed as well.

I have replaced many a motherboard and used to run a service in Ennis doing it and I always told people this up front but you would be surprised how many of them forget it and then get angry when you tell them they need another part for it to work and it's not just the motherboard.

So just a heads up.

Before deciding it's not worth paying €350 for a new laptop with probably better specs, you need to look into how much parts alone will be to fix what you have, then add on a few hours labour. Then really decide what you are going to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Inkyhead wrote: »
    It's a Dell Inspiron 1720 with loads of extras, widescreen, extra memory, processor etc. It's about 5 years old. I dunno really.

I only repaced the motherboard a few months ago :( The older one had calfed because it overheated so I got a full service on the machine. The thing is the guy I got to do it took an absolute age and it cost a load.

I'd like someone to look at it, diagnose the problem for certain and give me a repair quote. I could make decision then.

I would have thought a load of people would be providing this kind of service nowadays..

I have the Inspiron 9400, I was given it from a publican mate after a customer spilt a pint over it.

First second hand MB cost me e120 plus another 100 to upgrade CPU from Celeron to Centrino Duo and keyboard. That was two and a half years ago when parts were more expensive and new was not an option.

The MB went again last September, I was able to buy a brand new one from a supplier in Hongkong for under e80 delivered.

If the machine is over 4 years old I would be reluctant to buy a second hand MB unless I knew the machine well or got it very cheap. You should be able to get a new one quite handy. Make sure you take note of the exact model & serial no from the service tag. The 9400 I am using at the moment had 3 different motherboard options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 bannermaf

I'm sure I saw a computer repair place in the market in Ennis. I know there is also a guy at the Indoor Market in Elevation Business Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mikefitzs

Just a passenger

Advertisement