Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics, Chem & Maths help needed....

Options
  • 31-01-2012 4:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm hoping to return to college part-time next year 2013 to do a science/technology/engineering based course with the hope of eventually completing a degree.

It's is 20 years since I sat my leaving cert and I'm a bit apprehensive about going back into the education system and which course I should choose.
    As I have never before studied Physics or Chemistry, and its been so long since I have done Maths, I am looking for advice on any good on-line, print or other resources that would help me with the fundamentals.
    Ironically, I am working for a pharmaceutical company, but as general operative and I would like to open up my future options should the need arise.

I am currently looking for a suitable distance learning course, as I work irregular shifts and therefore cannot attend weekly classroom taught courses. UL have the following course, http://www3.ul.ie/ulearning/ulearning_courses/bsc_science_technology.html ,which interests me but need to do some prep work beforehand and therefore need your help.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

may some useful info that may help you in this thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054983277&page=2

I haven't checked out the websites myself just see chemistry mentioned

My advice buy a revision book for the subject look up the rest on the net. If you haven't done the subject in school start with junior level

You tube is a wonderful resource

my personal favorite for science, he has loads of ones on different topics physics & chemistry & biology

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Kohl

rookie76 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm hoping to return to college part-time next year 2013 to do a science/technology/engineering based course with the hope of eventually completing a degree.

It's is 20 years since I sat my leaving cert and I'm a bit apprehensive about going back into the education system and which course I should choose.
    As I have never before studied Physics or Chemistry, and its been so long since I have done Maths, I am looking for advice on any good on-line, print or other resources that would help me with the fundamentals.
    Ironically, I am working for a pharmaceutical company, but as general operative and I would like to open up my future options should the need arise.

I am currently looking for a suitable distance learning course, as I work irregular shifts and therefore cannot attend weekly classroom taught courses. UL have the following course, http://www3.ul.ie/ulearning/ulearning_courses/bsc_science_technology.html ,which interests me but need to do some prep work beforehand and therefore need your help.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The Open University have Physics/ Chemistry and Maths degrees. Their books are quite well written and easy to understand. The only downside to the OU science degree now, is that they are doing away with the week long experimental schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ray giraffe

Excellent Maths and Science videos at Khan Academy

Very clear book for understanding fundamentals of maths is here. Agreed to be much better than Irish textbooks.

I offer maths and physics grinds in Dublin 18: Details here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

Speaking from my own experience I jumped straight into a Level 8 Degree in Food Science & Health after leaving school 20 years ago. I never completed leaving cert only did CSE's(jnr cert) in the north. My course is mainly Chemistry and Biology based but also had a module of physics, I never covered any of these subjects in school but love them at third level because I am interested in the subject matter. I think if you are serious about returning to education you will find that the modules will come easy to learn and you will catch up quick as most of first year is at a foundation level to get every student at the same level to enter 2nd year, not every student (young ones) have done all the science subjects generally you'll find that they have only done one and be in the same boat as you for the others. I'm in semester 4 and have done 15 exams so far and passed them all the same as all the matures on my course. :D

Jump in and Go for it !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

rookie76 wrote: »

Rookie,
    Have a look at this site

http://www.khanacademy.org/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭rookie76

Thanks all for the info. The Khan academy looks to have it all covered. Great link. Thanks.

Agent 99, thanks for the advice as it puts me some what at ease. I am interested, have a general grasp of the basics, but didn't know what the expected level for 1st year would be. So i'm sure, with a bit of preparation through the sites mentioned by all of you, that I'll be ok to have a go without heading back to leaving cert or other courses first.

Thanks again for the advice. It's great to here from others with previous experience and knowledge of the subjects in question.

Advertisement