Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The original zombie movie?

Options
  • 30-01-2012 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

I read that this was THE original zombie movie so I have microwaved some popcorn and im about to watch it.

anyone seen this one before - i had never heard of it.

"performing his every desire" ;)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0023694/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭anomalous

The sound was desperate - I had to turn it up really high to hear over the crackling

the movie was a bit meh - I love old movies especially when they ham it up but I couldn't enjoy this because of the sound

the zombies were voodoo zombies controlled by a witch doctor they weren't eating anybody - just mindless slaves.

I got a book with a summary of pretty much all zombie movies (good and bad) and I think im gona work my way through it watching the good ones.

I walked with a zombie (1943) is up next.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

You'll find all the zombie flicks from that time were voodoo zombies, Night of the Living Dead was the first modern zombie film so your still 25 years off a decent film. :D

I'm going back over the old twilight zone films and it's amazing what scared people in the past and how things change.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

the only thing that scares me these days is the amount of people that actually enjoyed the Twillight films :D

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

The majority of the good zombie films have been made by George A. Romero who co-wrote and directed Night of the Living Dead in 1968. and made four more zombie films
    Dawn of the Dead (1978)
    Day of the Dead (1985)
    Dawn of the Dead (2004)(remake)
    Land of the Dead (2008)

there is a similar escalation in the scope of the event as the viewer see it - from a small farm house to a town/city and ending with the edge of extinction of the species in a similar way to the recent resident evil film series, at least in my opinion.

At the moment I only have one of these films, the first one, which is excellent but as I am writing this I am trying to remember if throughout the series the cause of the zombies is shown, and if i remember correctly in Day of the Dead, the police go to a building where man has died, and a voodoo ceremony results in the body rising but if you remember it differently please let me know, which could support your theory of your film being the origin for zombie movies, though the film you suggest may have been developed from the myths surrounding voodoo, but as the line from Night of the living Dead ("if you got yourself a gun shoot them in the head, and if you don't beat'em or burn'em they go up pretty easily" Sheriff reporting on zombie crisis to camera.) shows that George A Romero created the rules that apply to most zombie movies since - take out the brain (bullet or bump) , bite or scratch from infected is lethal(kills within 24 hours), infects and it is mostly spread by someone who becomes infected among a crowd and hides the bite until...zombified!

I would like to know if your film contained these elements.

Advertisement