Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B. Science Mathematics NUIG - Actuary

Options
  • 30-01-2012 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hey, I'm filling my CAO this year, repeating my leaving certificate!

I'm interested in becoming an actuary for the past two years but i'm not too sure of yet. I was looking at courses in UCD and DCU but wouldn't really be a dublin person. I was in NUI Galway last year for a year and did Commerce (Accounting). Wasn't for me at all but would LOVE to return in September.

Can anyone give me any information on B. Sc Mathematics in NUIG? What career options does it carry? And if i did decide to become an actuary (very likely at this stage), does anyone know if this course carries exemptions for the actuarial exams and if so, how many?? Also, do the big 4, or insurance companies take people with straight maths degrees as trainee actuary or would I have to do a post grad course like the one in DCU to become a trainee actuary?

I love maths and it's always been my favourite subject and of now i'm 100% sure I want to pursue a career in this field.

Could anyone tell me any other careers with this maths degree too because I'm not sure what other careers can come out of it?

Some please reply .
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Ficheall

If you're looking for exemptions from the actuarial exams, I'd suggest BSc. in Financial Maths and Economics. I think it's GY309. That's the course that gives the exemptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ele1992

So there isn't any exemptions for the exams with this course?

http://www.nuigalway.ie/courses/undergraduate-courses/mathematical-science.html

Possibly when you "begin to specialize", as it says, if you choose the Financey route.
    Maybe email the course coordinator?

If Commerce with Accounting wasn't for you, why do you think it very likely that you will end up doing Actuarial stuff?

I emailed course co-ordinator twice and no reply!

The reason i left commerce was i didn't like it as there wasn't enough maths, i wanted to do something with maths. Tried to change at start of year but they wouldn't let it.

I'll just forward my e-mail again and if no reply i'm going to try calling her.

Thanks for your help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

If your looking for a lot of maths, as well as exemptions from acturial exams, then the B.Sc Financial Mathematics and Economics would probably be the best. I'm in 2nd year of it myself. So far the maths subjects included, Real Analysis, Linear Algebra, Mathematical Methods, Maths of Finance, Statistics, Probability, Modelling Analysis, Complex Analysis, Discrete Mathematics, as well as a few interesting finance and economics modules.

Also, becoming an Actuary is a long, long road. You will most likely be doing exams until well into your late 20's, for less reward, imo, than trading or Investment Banking.

• Advertisement

Reillyman wrote: »
    Also, becoming an Actuary is a long, long road. You will most likely be doing exams until well into your late 20's, for less reward, imo, than trading or Investment Banking.
    Agreed. Several of my class are still doing actuarial exams, despite working as "actuaries"ish for two to three years now.

Yeah, i know how long it'll take, the exams involved and the likes. I'm already a bit older as it is because of the year in college and this year repeating. I'll 21 in first year and realise i more than likely won't be qualified until 30s.

Trading and Investment Banking are some of the maths careers i've heard of but wouldn't know much about them. Can you elaborate on them please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Skopzz

I think we should all realize that EXPORTS are the only way for us to recover!

When someone asks Ireland 'what do you export?' and when we answer 'financial services' they aren't gonna be impressed. We need to expect less and prepare to become competitive like other export economies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭musical.x

skopzz your answer is no help for the op in regards to the course itself. please reply only with relevant information. thanks!

to the OP, i know you have emailed twice but maybe drop another email in a week or two. sometimes they are out on leave or simple have no time the first couple weeks of the new semester.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

ele1992 wrote: »
    Trading and Investment Banking are some of the maths careers i've heard of but wouldn't know much about them. Can you elaborate on them please?

Investment Banks are always looking for people with mathematical skills, which is why many physics, engineering etc graduates go into the field. It is probably the most lucrative sector if your motivated by financial reward. For example, the average base salary for a graduate analyst in prop/electronic/quant trading in 2009 was 80-90k USD, with near enough the same again in bonuses*. It's very, very stressful work however and 16 hour days are fairly common for graduate analysts. If you wanted to go down this route you would realistically need a 1.1 or very high 2.1 and have done at least one internship.

*source-www.efinancialcareers.com/students

• Advertisement
Advertisement