Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new part timer

Options
  • 30-01-2012 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all,

I find myself facing the need and want to farm the land that i have aprt time. Previously this has just been set for grazing and veg.(30a) I would like to get a few cattle or sheep and grow some veg. I was wondering what grants i can look to apply for sfp etc or what qualifcations i need to get these and if worth doing. Im 35 and worked on farms years ago but this will be a first time for myself.

just wondering if anyone can advise if i am best to ring up teagasc and ask them on this ? also the herd number for the farm is dormant, do i try to activate this or look to get a new one. there is no crush facilities on the farm so want to advoid the cost here for a while, so maybe i will just to sheep and veg for a while first.

thanks very much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭epfff

Hi all,

I find myself facing the need and want to farm the land that i have aprt time. Previously this has just been set for grazing and veg.(30a) I would like to get a few cattle or sheep and grow some veg. I was wondering what grants i can look to apply for sfp etc or what qualifcations i need to get these and if worth doing. Im 35 and worked on farms years ago but this will be a first time for myself.

just wondering if anyone can advise if i am best to ring up teagasc and ask them on this ? also the herd number for the farm is dormant, do i try to activate this or look to get a new one. there is no crush facilities on the farm so want to advoid the cost here for a while, so maybe i will just to sheep and veg for a while first.

thanks very much
    Grants dont think their iys any chance
    Good time to fert in in terms of maybe being eligible for next round
    Teagase is a good stop if you meet the right guy but some of them are just punching in the time
    If you have amate already farming is possiable a good resource

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Hi all,

thanks very much
    Welcome to the mad world of farming

Your best bet would be the Dept of agriculture. They can reactivate your herd number after a bit of paperwork(get used to that;)).

If the land was in veg then no SFP with it so your only bet would be to apply to the national reserve. Again the Dept will set you on track with the qualifications and paperwork;) needed. If you are in a disadvantaged area you may qualify for Disadvantaged Area Scheme payments (not sure if that is the official name, seems to change every few years).

If you are a qualified farmer and under 35 you may be elegible for the TAMS scheme, to upgrade fencing and sheep handling facilities. Again the dept of ag is a good starting point. If you have problems following the forms then look for a private ag consultant or Teagasc to help

• Registered Users Posts: 3 learner farmer

thanks very much for that i will try dept first and then give teagasc a call.

one final question does , currently land is set, and the guy uses the land for his payments as he has the maps for the land , does this affect me

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

thanks very much for that i will try dept first and then give teagasc a call.

one final question does , currently land is set, and the guy uses the land for his payments as he has the maps for the land , does this affect me

thanks
    I dont think so. If he is claiming on the land then there may be entitlements claimed on the land or he may be using the land to clain entitlements he has that he hasnt enough land to claim on. I think if he loses the land then the entitlements will go with him, unless the entitlements were there when he leased the land at the beginning

Advertisement