Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The most convient way to backup entire phone

Options
  • 30-01-2012 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭

I've been stuck on the same Android OS version since I got my HTC Desire last year. I've tried freeing up loads of space on both the phone and SD card, yet when I try to update I still get stuck at the screen with the android robot and exclamation mark. I reckon I'll just factory reset the phone and then try to update. I've had to reset my phone before (resulting in losing all my contacts) but it took me ages to reinstall everything and get my data back similar to the way it was. My question is, can I just backup my data with in one go to my laptop, then reset, update, and recover that data to my newly updated phone? I just don't want to go through the hassle of what I previously had to do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Your contacts should backup to your gmail account,

Titanium backup will backup all your apps/data. (need to be rooted)

I use gosms which has a backup for texts, there is an app on market (can't remember which) that'll backup if you are using the stock sms app anyways.

You could also use rom manager and make a backup of your entire rom, on the off chance you need to roll back for whatever reason too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

don't forget to backup your bookmarks too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Grassey wrote: »
    Your contacts should backup to your gmail account,

Titanium backup will backup all your apps/data. (need to be rooted)

I use gosms which has a backup for texts, there is an app on market (can't remember which) that'll backup if you are using the stock sms app anyways.

You could also use rom manager and make a backup of your entire rom, on the off chance you need to roll back for whatever reason too.

SMS backup and restore

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I use "My Backup Root"

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Hecklar

"My backup Pro" or if you have rooted it, Just do a complete Nandroid backup from clockwork mod recovery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

My Backup root and Titanium backup both to external SD.
    CWM to internal and external SD. Not much chance of data loss with all those. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Can I just recommend My Phone Explorer, free and excellent.

Client App from Market
    MyPhoneExplorer is a powerful phone management software for your Desktop PC. Some features:
    • Sync your phone with Outlook, Thunderbird, Sunbird, Lotus Notes, Tobit David, Windows Contacts, Windows Calendar,...
    • Manage your SMS, Calllists, Apps, Files, handle Calls, create backups...
    • Connection via WiFi, USB-Cable or Bluetooth.

and......PC/Laptop (Windows) program

latest Version 1.8.2, download page

Support forum, English Section

• Registered Users Posts: 1 xink

To transfer android media files like photos to computer, you can try Google Drive Backup , Google Photos, USB. But if you want to transfer text messages or contacts from android phone to computer, these methods won't help, you should use an android assistant to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

So happy for the OP who can rejoice in being freed from his 5 year hell waiting for an answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

sentient_6 wrote: »
    So happy for the OP who can rejoice in being freed from his 5 year hell waiting for an answer.

better late than never :-)

But thankfully google does all this.

The OP can confirm this by going to a pc or laptop and checking:

calendar.google.com
    contacts.google.com
    photos.google.com
    hangouts.google.com - assuming they use Hangouts for instant messaging
    drive.google.com - assuming they set up Whatsapp to back up messages to Google drive
    keep.google.com
    mail.google.com
    music.google.com - assuming they uploaded their music to google music

• Advertisement
Advertisement