Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NRT - or no NRT? What do the experts say??

Options
  • 30-01-2012 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,801 ✭✭✭

So i quit smoking 2 weeks ago and I am very interested in the methods people use to help them to quit.
    From what I can see there are 2 schools of thought - use NRT and will power or just will power.
    Alan Carr and the highly acclaimed whyquit.com site go with the belief that the use of NRT prolongs the recovery process. However, smoking cessation services provided by the HSE, NHS etc, recommend the use of NRT.

I can see the advantages of both, but I am dubious too. NRT is not cheap, and could it just be a gimmick created my the pharma industry like a lot of other drugs?

Does anyone in know if there is definitive research on the use/no use of NRT?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Off the top of my head I can think of a couple more options, the smoking cessation drugs - Im not sure of the proper term, but I mean things like Champix. And hypnosis, which Ive heard a number of people have success with.

There has just been a big study on the use of NRT and the results show it does not improve chances of long term cessation. See an article about it here.

Good to hear youre still going well Sporina - 2 weeks - you are past the worst, now its just a case of staying strong!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,801 ✭✭✭sporina

hmm thanks 123, interesting article.

Off the top of my head, the main point I take away from this is that while there was no difference found in the success rate between those who used/did not use NRT, therapy or not, perhaps without the help of either intervention, some may not have even tried to quit.

And also, the question as to whether or not the government would be better off spending money on anti smoking campaigns etc as oppose to providing free NRT - hmm interesting.

I must look into exactly how much clinical trial work is required by the manufacturer in order to legalise the sale of NRT.

Personally, I am dubious about the pharma indo but I am also sure that the use of Patches have helped me to quit. Whether they will help me in the long (or do me more damage when I stop using them) still remains to be seen.

I would love to read more definitive research on EU standards,.. I will defo look into this when I have more time.

Either way - here's to not smoking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The ONLY REAL REGRET OF MY LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement