Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Online Financial Betting

• 30-01-2012 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi All,

Just wondering does anyone regularly use the bookies online financial markets?? Iv been on it for about a week and have found them very unreliable in regards that sometimes you lose even though the figure shown is one that should have resulted in a win. Just wondering how others find it, if it is possible to win on or if I am wasting time betting there.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Waste of time I think. Do you have any knowledge of it or are you just betting on it to pass the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭shangri la

To profit on that you would basically need to have years of experience in the financial markets. That would be the absolute worst thing for you to bet on.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

t00054583 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Just wondering does anyone regularly use the bookies online financial markets?? Iv been on it for about a week and have found them very unreliable in regards that sometimes you lose even though the figure shown is one that should have resulted in a win. Just wondering how others find it, if it is possible to win on or if I am wasting time betting there.

Cheers

Hi, I don't do it anymore but I used to. You can make money from it if you can spot patterns and have the patience of a saint. It's obviously very risky and time consuming.
    Your right , Paddypower for eg hire a company to measure the marks at 10min,20min , an hour intervals and so on . They don't use the official readings at these intervals , instead they they measure the 1st reading AFTER the official one which means that it's a con cause you don't really know what your betting on.

The only reading bookies can't mess with is the market's official close so it's really the only market that is actually safe to bet on.

I used to live and work in Dublin and pay an extortionate amount of rent (€600 a month) for a cold damp dark basement flat so I needed an odd gamble to help out and I used to bet the Japanese stockmarket official close.
    This was at a time though where if the Dow Jones finished up from the day before then the Nikkei would usually follow suit.
    For weeks sometime it only ever finish up or down 30-40 points yet it could shoot up 200 then down 500 when trading started or at midday etc.
    So, if you managed to bet up or down at these extrems it was very difficult to lose .
    The problem was that Powers would open this market at 1.30am and close it at 7am so getting up for work was bad.
    I wouldn't do it now of course and I'd never touch the Dow Jones or FTSE in a million years but if you pick your market and study it (ceefax p 200 is a great help) you can make decent guesses based on how it closes and where it was at hourly marks.I personally don't think you need any financial training , you would if you were spread betting and buying/ selling shares on a firm like Capital Spreads though.

Good luck anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭gb153

Think this question should be put in in the investing forum. Search the terms "financial spread betting" in there and you should find a few posts on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 luckystrike23

check out http://www.financial-spread-betting.com/Spread-trading-faqs.html there's everything there is to know about financial spread betting including a free monthly magazine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Busyness1

Spread betting and Fixed odd financial betting are two COMPLETELY!!! different things. If you put 20 on a fixed odd for the ftse/iseq/gold with ladbrokes to rise and you lose the most you can lose is 20. If you spread-betted that 20 without a stop-loss you could potentially lose thousands!!!... even with a stop-loss you could lose hundreds should it not go your way! Be very careful of spread-betting!

Advertisement