Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business Plan Help

Options
  • 30-01-2012 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Ok so you probably have a load of people asking this.

Basically I'm fed up of not being able to get a job... there are many reasons why I can't, the main BIG one is that I'm currently a student. Since I can remember I've dreamt of setting up a traditional sweet shop in my home town but I didn't know where to go, plus at the time I was like 10! :p

So now I know I must approach banks with a business plan in order to get a loan so I can purchase the property plus the stock... but this is where I get confused...

What do I actually put in a business plan? I've looked on line and almost every site says different things. I don't really want to be a big business, just a little shop which everyone will remember and return to.

Before you ask, no I didn't do business in school and no I haven't had management experience before within retail but I'm an Avon Rep and, to be honest that's like having my own business anyway plus a few friends of mine who said they'd help me.

I have asked my dad and a friend who both run their own companies but as they are both in computing and not in retail, they have no clue -_-

Any help would be appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭NomadicMe

Here is one of the better ones I have used in the past- not all headings need to be filled in, depending on the business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Voiseyjr

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭slimpickens

I am looking at opening a shop. Not sweets related.

If you are pretty clueless about starting a business have a look at your local enterprise board site. They probably run start your own business courses with free mentoring at the end. Would be good for your business plan - but if you think your idea is a real runner there is nothing stopping one of the others on the course robbing it. So act dumb in terms of your idea and have a quiet word with the person giving the course.

And look at approching a similar type shop in a differrent part of the country (so you wont be competing) and ask can you shadow the operator for a period (in exchange for you working free behind the register for a bit). I believe that if you could set this up it would be a great way to learn about various aspects of managing/operating a shop.

I intend to do this to learn about dealing with taxes, managing stock, suppliers, cash flow and the various other areas i have no experiene of.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

I have done the buisness course and now have a mentor supplied by the County enterprise board.It is well worth doing as i did not have a clue after coming from the building sites(yep,one of the statistics).She is currently helping me with questionaires for focus groups and hopefully will work with me til buisness plan is completed.The vibe i get from the CEB is that they can supply this help but i think as for wonga I will be going to other sources but i am delighted with the help.Not sure if that is Newport in tipp you are in op but there is a traditional sweet shop in Cashel that is very well done out,think its called Wonkas as in oompa oompa,would be worth a look.
    Its a good idea,I would take my kids to one for a treat.

Advertisement