Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Foreign Channels with English subtitles ?

Options
  • 30-01-2012 3:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭

Particularly interested in French/Italian/Spanish channels to improve language skills..

Found one last night that lets me add English subtitles.
    TV5 Monde Europe

appreciate if anybody knows of any others ? .

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Interesting. I never knew TV5 Monde Europe had English subs! Interesting idea.

Similarly so, I'd be interested in the same, preferably of German persuasion. Meanwhile, if I find any, I'll post back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

http://robssatellitetv.webs.com/tv5mondeenglish.htm

I found that with TV5 Monde also, only some programmes have the English/anglais subs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Been watching the past few nights.
    Yes. Its only some programs.
    Movies mostly but very good when you can get it.

TV5MondeEurope do a few languages.You can watch a French language movie with German subtitles for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭victory10

Pal wrote: »
    Particularly interested in French/Italian/Spanish channels to improve language skills..

Found one last night that lets me add English subtitles.
    TV5 Monde Europe

appreciate if anybody knows of any others ? .

TV5Monde had only recently added the English subtitle option, on some programs. But had DE and NL for years. Quite good actually.

But as far as I know, there aren't any other channels on HB13 which provide English subtitle.

If you really want to pursue this further (need to spend some time), I would suggest to record a program with a teletext subtitle page such as from ARD Das Erste (page 150) or ZDF (page 777) with German sub using a PVR receiver that records everythin in TS (Transport Stream), including the teletext pages.
    Then extract the video, audio and subtitles as separate files.
    Translate the sub file using Google translation (or if you have a better translation machine software, use that).
    Then create a DVD with video, audio and the English sub.
    It would not be perfect, but at least you get a good idea about what is going on.
    The original language subtitle file is textual. It can be quite interesting to try to translate the file (as an extra excercise) by yourself or with the help of someone who knows both languages.
    As I said it is time consuming, but it can be quite a rewarding challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,170 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Arirang and KBS World (S. Korea) both have English subtitles on Hotbird 13E.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭victory10

TVP Polania (FTA) has embeded English subtitles on some of the programs.
    http://www.tvp.pl/program-telewizyjny?offset=1
    Look for the English flag on the right which indicates which programs have English subtitles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Unfortunately, while my Freesat box lets me add subtitles on Freesat channels, it doesn't seem to activate them on non-Freesat channels. What kind of setup are ye using that ye get subtitles?

If it's French you want, OP, you might also like this site: http://filmfra.com/ - a few dozen great French films with French subtitles, which is even better for fluency. You can also pause them and look up the odd word on this reversible dictionary http://www.reverso.net/translationresults.aspx?lang=EN&direction=english-french

Advertisement