Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tus to course

Options
  • 30-01-2012 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hi all ,

A friend of mine is participating in the Tus scheme , they have done 7 months so far , they where placed alot further from their home than they were originally advised , and have had to walk a good distance every day , and have hurt their back.

They have been in contact with the local Tus supervisor , and keep stalling , as my friend wants to leave and complete a course.

So I am basically looking for anybody that has or is participating in the Tus scheme , that has left or is trying to leave , or participate in a course.

If you leave Tus it could be up to 8wks without a payment , can you go to fas if they have your course and get a payment from Fas ?

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated , as my friends worked really hard for months and months , and now is damaging themself daily , so some alternatives need to be found.

Thank you so much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

A friend of mine has a similar problem

He only started on Tus two weeks ago and hates his placement , the work is not what he was told it would be and its very far for him to travel. Before taking up the Tus position he had applied for many jobs including CE , he was only a week on Tus when one of the CE schemes contacted him saying they had a position available for him. As he is not happy where he is and the rules state If participants are offered alternative work or training they may terminate their work placement contract if they wish , he presumed he wouldn't have a problem swapping over. But when he contacted his Tus supervisor he was told this wasn't possible because CE rules state you must be unemployed for 12 months to qualify. He had been unemployed for years before taking up this placement and was only there a week but they say no , its a break in your social welfare payment. Does anyone know of any way around this , he's prepared to work and the CE is closer to home and he's really unhappy where he is working at the moment.

Thanks for any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

Anyone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,933 ✭✭✭dodzy

Karen23 wrote: »
    Anyone ?

Your friend should have stated at his Tús interview that he had applied for CE and they should have left him/her for a bit of time to allow the CE position a chance to come to fruition. Unfortunately, the Tús team leaders are under a bit of pressure to secure placements and in some cases, due to this, a participant may be placed in an unsuitable position i.e does not like the work / has to travel and incur excessive transport costs and therefor has a right to request a relocated position. He/she has a channel of appeal through tusinfo@welfare.ie

Advertisement