Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wanting to start singing lessons but...

Options
  • 30-01-2012 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi folks,

I'd really like to learn how to sing but I really lack confidence - the only person I've ever sang properly in front is my fiancé. He says that I have good voice but then again he is biased :rolleyes: lol.

I recorded myself singing Seven Nation Army last night and though it sounds mostly in tune, at points it sounds nasally and also a bit vibrato-y and...rather quiet :( which makes me even more nervous about singing in front of a teacher.

Also I'm a metal/hard rock kind of girl and I'd like to be able to sing more rock type songs (not screamo lol just 'harder') but I seem to able to sing bluesy type rock a lot better :confused:. Would the teacher make you sing something that you don't know/not comfortable singing?

Could I work on the nasal/trembly bits at home first?

I just don't want to feel like an eejit singing in front of the teacher for the first time :( because if I went all nasally and out of tune I don't think I would have the courage to go back lol

Thanks x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭Lady Chuckles

Hey :)

Don't worry! Your teacher wouldn't make you sing something you're not comfortable singing when you start off. Of course, as you go along you'd be given more and more challenges. You can't improve if you don't step out of your comfort-zone ;)
    A first lesson would normally contain warm-up singing, breathing techinques and some singing to hear what type of voice you have. It's okay to be a little bit nervous, the teacher will be used to such as well. :)

You could work on your nasal/trembly bits at home first, I get the sense that you're a little intimidated by showing your "flaws" to a teacher, so I understand that you'd like to do so :) (I used to be the very same.) The thing is, though, that if you're going to get a teacher anyway it may be a good idea to let him/her provide you with the tools you need to get rid of it ;)

Singing is great! Relax and have fun with it. A teacher won't "judge" you in anyway. You're there to learn, aren't you? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

+1

Your teacher is there to help you, OP. They're not there to judge, they're there to help.

Bite the bullet. After your first lesson, i'm sure your nerves will be alleviated. Best of luck.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 scarybiccies

Thanks guys - I took a deep breath and booked my first lesson today for next week... eeek! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Yaaaay - good for you. Keep us posted. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭Lady Chuckles

That's marvellous! :)
    I'm sure you'll do great, scarybiccies!

• Advertisement
Advertisement