Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domino Scheme confused

Options
  • 30-01-2012 12:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Just wondering is anyone on the domino scheme or have you been speaking to the doc/midwife about it? I'm 22 weeks at the mo and so far I've been blessed with a great pregnancy, no sickness, no pains. Anyway have had all my scans with my last one being last Tuesday and doc confirmed everything is fine so had a midwifes appointment on Friday and as I had pointed out on my booking visit that I wanted to use the Domino scheme I assumed this visit was to discuss everything like what kind of birth I would like, pain relief and maybe I would get to meet the midwife that I would be dealing with me... But instead I got nothing! Nothing was discussed and then she filled out a combined care form and when I said I wanted to go with Domino she started spouting about how it was only a new thing and it was very tight regulations to get on the scheme and how Ireland are still in the stone age and the midwifes aren't allowed to deal with pregnant woman without a doctors help and I left the appointment feeling totally confused and a little bit sad tbh : (

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I'm doing the Domino Scheme with the Coombe. I've only had to go to the hospital itself for my scans the rest of the time I go between my GP & Midwife at my health centre. So last weeks I was with my midwife & next week I'll be with my GP then 2 weeks after that back with my midwife & so on.
    They are quite strict as to who they take, I nearly didn't make it on cos I get the occasional migraine & had a reoccuring UTI 4 years ago! You also have to live in an area where Domino is offered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭a.man

Thanks Ms yeah thats the same as me then with the alternating visits between gp and midwife in Tallaght... I just thought they were 2 different things combined care and then the domino scheme.. So when you say you nearly didn't make it on, did the midwife actually tell you you were on it? The impression I got is that they decide in the last few weeks if you've had no problems they let you do it?

I rang the midwife & asked to be put on the scheme after my inital booking. The midwife dicussed the migraines & UTIs with the consultant I was originally assigned to & she gave me the green light to be taken onto the scheme, my midwife then rang me to let me know I had been accepted.
    I found I has to be very proactive & chase things up myself otherwise things just steam rolled on without too much discussion of other options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭a.man

Thanks Ms, thats exactly what I thought today.. Will ring the Coombe tomorrow and try and get myself on it!

No problem, best of luck !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭MaxCharlie

I did the domino scheme twice in waterford regional hospital - on my first 5.5 years ago i saw doctor for intermittent checks and domino midwife at hospital for rest. At labour i had domino midwife present all the time until the very end to help with delivery - suction delivery in the end. This time - baby was born on Thursday last - i saw midwife at doctors surgery for intermittent appointments - doctor over saw my care behind the scenes if any specific requirements and domino at hospital for rest and labour i had domino midwife only. So for my entire second pregnancy i never saw a doctor or consultant - which is fine by me

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

I am doing the Community Midwife scheme in Holles Street and I never need to see a doctor, I do combined care so half my appointments are in my GP's surgery (with a practice midwife) and the other half are with the Community Midwives. It is very straightforward. As for discussing what type of birth etc you want, I think that the assumption is that by going with the Dominio scheme you are pretty much saying you want as natural a birth as possible. That is my understanding anyway. I have had one baby with the midwives already and there was no mention of pain relief, they were amazing and I am looking forward to having my next baby with them in 5 weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

We are interested in the Domino scheme at the Combe but I can't get definitive information on it. I've called the Combe five times this week and can't get anybody beyond the initial switchboard (am currently on hold again!).

We went to Holles street for our first child and are interested in the Combe this time.

We live in Crumlin and I believe it is in the area for the Domino scheme at the Combe. The one problem we're heard is that some appointments would be in Tallaght? We both work in the city centre so that would be a big problem for us.

Anyone able to advise on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

quad there is an information sheet about the scheme on the coombe website. There's a contact number for a midwife on the sheet. Leave a message if it goes to voicemail and she will ring you straight back. They're all lovely to deal with.

You might attend the midwife clinic in the hospital if you live in Crumlin. The DS scheme midwife will explain everything to you.

Advertisement