Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Head-butted a week ago...

Options
  • 30-01-2012 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭

I was out the Saturday before last, and someone headbutted me then ran away.

A filling from a previously chipped tooth fell out and my two front teeth have been been kinda tight every now and then since that night. They kinda 'creak' sometimes too.

However, I have another tooth (bottom, second front one on the left) that I thought was in worse condition that still hasn't fallen out yet. It was the result of the same event that caused the previously chipped tooth (I had some pretty bad friends at the time). It occasionally goes completely numb every few months, but my two front teeth haven't been subject to the same numbness.

The dentist told me that the bottom tooth that goes numb will fall out, but that was four years ago and it's still going strong. None of my teeth have 'blackened' or anything. They go black if they're about to fall out,right?

So how bad are my two front teeth? I really don't want to lose them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

a fat guy wrote: »
    I was out the Saturday before last, and someone headbutted me then ran away.

A filling from a previously chipped tooth fell out and my two front teeth have been been kinda tight every now and then since that night. They kinda 'creak' sometimes too.

However, I have another tooth (bottom, second front one on the left) that I thought was in worse condition that still hasn't fallen out yet. It was the result of the same event that caused the previously chipped tooth (I had some pretty bad friends at the time). It occasionally goes completely numb every few months, but my two front teeth haven't been subject to the same numbness.

The dentist told me that the bottom tooth that goes numb will fall out, but that was four years ago and it's still going strong. None of my teeth have 'blackened' or anything. They go black if they're about to fall out,right?

So how bad are my two front teeth? I really don't want to lose them.

Go see a dentist....!!!!!:confused::confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Jebus OP.. get yourself to a dentist!

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

I'm going on the 11th.

My teeth have survived worse, so hopefully they'll survive this too. It probably wouldn't bother me so much if they weren't front teeth...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Op, thats 12 days.. a lot of time for any damage done to get worse

It could hardly get much worse than it is, can it?

I mean, if they're gonna fall out then the Dentist can't do much can he?

• Advertisement

Well they may be able to at least try to save them, i'm sure on the dentists will post specifics but it just seems you've left them an awful long time.

Yes it can get worse- you can get a nice facial infection caused by the dead teeth/roots...

I find that teeth and roots tend not to fall out on their own (unless they are baby teeth), so the dentist can remove them for you and remove the future risk of infection from these little timebombs....

My Dentist never mentioned anything about a facial infection... There must be some sort of mis-communication going on here, because the last time I checked Dentist's were meant to stop this sort of thing from happening!

Edit: I should probably mention that I go to the dentist and oral hygienist every few months with regularity. I also floss, brush extensively and use mouthwash quite a bit. I've only flossed once since last Saturday to let the teeth settle though, just in case.

My Dentist never mentioned anything about a facial infection... There must be some sort of mis-communication going on here, because the last time I checked Dentist's were meant to stop this sort of thing from happening!

You're not jumping to get things fixed too quick yourself... it's your mouth at the end of the day...

If I crashed my car and I leave it a few months- I can't blame the panel beater that it's now rusty...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

How could your dentist have talked to you about facial infections, he/she has not seen you yet about this problem.

With trauma a lot of the damage has been done at the time of the trauma, however there are some problems that can be prevented or managed more easily with early treatment. If you want to be blasé about things thats fine but then the burden of responsibility rests on your shoulders. Also have you have reported it to the garda? This could cost you some major money over the years so whoever did this to you should be caught for prosecution and compensation.

• Advertisement

OP, I'm not a dentist but leaving it 3 weeks before going to a dentist after getting what sounds like a pretty hard impact is frankly nuts, you should have been down to the dentist on the Monday after it happened.

You're not jumping to get things fixed too quick yourself... it's your mouth at the end of the day...

If I crashed my car and I leave it a few months- I can't blame the panel beater that it's now rusty...

I'm not getting on to ye lads if that's what you think I'm trying to do, more like I'm getting on about the Dentist not letting me know about facial infection's when he actually told me that my tooth would fall out soon. This was for the first time I had to go to the Dentist about another time that my teeth were damaged. I can see why you'd think I was referring to you guys though, but that wasn't my intention. And I didn't think it was too bad before you guys told me, so I'm going to go this Saturday to the Dentist instead.

@ fitzgeme: I have been to the Dentist before about getting a smack off a wall. He said that one of my teeth would fall out, but never mentioned a thing about facial infections. That's why my last post may have seemed a little angry... Hell, the last time I was down to the dental hygienist at the same place, the polishing tool's head fell off and into my mouth! And I never got them polished in the end either... But yeah, if the damage is in any way lasting, then I'll be off to the guards right away. I doubt it'll help much though, I was drunk at the time and I doubt think the guy was from the area. That's why he attacked me I think, I was just going to the toilet and he thought I was an easy target. This all happened in New Ross by the way, and that town is pretty rough, so I guess it was only a matter of time before someone with issues attacked me.

@ helimachoptor: I never thought it was that serious and I'm a bit of a worrier when it comes to my teeth. I only came here for some clarification, but now I see it's a lot more serious than I thought. I'm going to try to get the visit pushed forward to this Saturday. I REALLY hope that they're fine though, because I'll probably have a scar over my nose because of that guy too, and I don't have the time to be worrying about all of that stuff in my final semester of college.

Christ, these past few days have been the unluckiest of my life...

I'm not getting on to ye lads if that's what you think I'm trying to do, more like I'm getting on about the Dentist not letting me know about facial infection's when he actually told me that my tooth would fall out soon. This was for the first time I had to go to the Dentist about another time that my teeth were damaged. I can see why you'd think I was referring to you guys though, but that wasn't my intention. And I didn't think it was too bad before you guys told me, so I'm going to go this Saturday to the Dentist instead.

@ fitzgeme: I have been to the Dentist before about getting a smack off a wall. He said that one of my teeth would fall out, but never mentioned a thing about facial infections. That's why my last post may have seemed a little angry... Hell, the last time I was down to the dental hygienist at the same place, the polishing tool's head fell off and into my mouth! And I never got them polished in the end either... But yeah, if the damage is in any way lasting, then I'll be off to the guards right away. I doubt it'll help much though, I was drunk at the time and I doubt think the guy was from the area. That's why he attacked me I think, I was just going to the toilet and he thought I was an easy target. This all happened in New Ross by the way, and that town is pretty rough, so I guess it was only a matter of time before someone with issues attacked me.

@ helimachoptor: I never thought it was that serious and I'm a bit of a worrier when it comes to my teeth. I only came here for some clarification, but now I see it's a lot more serious than I thought. I'm going to try to get the visit pushed forward to this Saturday. I REALLY hope that they're fine though, because I'll probably have a scar over my nose because of that guy too, and I don't have the time to be worrying about all of that stuff in my final semester of college.

Christ, these past few days have been the unluckiest of my life...

Let us know how you get on op, good luck.
    OS

Will do OS.

Thanks for the wake-up call guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CyberJuice

a mate of mine got a hard headbutt to the mouth few years back,the noise of it,i was standing a fair distance away and i heard the bang of it..

he went dentist,im not sure about exactly the time frame of his visits and what exactly he got done but apparently the tooth needed a root canal.it was just 1 of his very front teeth that was affected by the bang. the tooth has been dark ever since about a week after the headbutt,he still has the tooth but its still very dark coloured to this day a decade later

maybe you need root canal also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

CyberJuice wrote: »
    a mate of mine got a hard headbutt to the mouth few years back,the noise of it,i was standing a fair distance away and i heard the bang of it..

he went dentist,im not sure about exactly the time frame of his visits and what exactly he got done but apparently the tooth needed a root canal.it was just 1 of his very front teeth that was affected by the bang. the tooth has been dark ever since about a week after the headbutt,he still has the tooth but its still very dark coloured to this day a decade later

maybe you need root canal also

Indeed that can be an issue down the road for sure.

The thing is, I was drunk at the time and I don't know if I was actually hit in the teeth. It's been over a week now and none of my teeth are dark yet, so hopefully it's all just in my head.

He definitely got me in the nose though, there was blood everywhere.

so hopefully it's all just in my head.

I hope so too:D

Well it's been almost two weeks now and they're feeling quite a god bit better after a floss, brush then rinse with mouthwash. They still haven't darkened or anything.

I'm starting to think that my lack of using them (I've been using my back and side teeth to chew everything), lack of flossing for two weeks( I thought it'd harm them) and being really gentle with them for this long has actually made me paranoid about them. I kept feeling plaque over the front two teeth because I was so gentle with my brushing...

I'm going in tomorrow at ten so it'll finally be sorted out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

Besta luck big guy. Your health is your wealth and so are your teeth.

• Advertisement

He said they're fine!

Man, that's a load off my chest...

Thanks again for the help guys.

Good news OP.. please dont wait as long next time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

He said they're fine!

Man, that's a load off my chest...

Thanks again for the help guys.

If you didn't wait two weeks you wouldn't have been so stressed!!!!

If you didn't wait two weeks you wouldn't have been so stressed!!!!

Well that's just like, your opinion, guy.

Ha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

Hand bags free zone fellas!

Well that's just like, your opinion, guy.

Ha.

Well it is that. But its also true. You must like worrying. That one IS my opinion.

I was joking man, look at your username then look at my message.

Heh.

I was joking man, look at your username then look at my message.

Heh.

Yeah I got that. Just windin ya up:D
    Glad it turned out ok

Advertisement