Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Struggling to get a Bookies to lay a special bet

Options
  • 29-01-2012 9:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭

A mate is trying to get a bet on. Looking at an up coming youngster and wants to back him to reach certain "goals" (not literally goals) in a future international career.

I suggested that Paddy Power would lay it given their reputation but surprisingly they have refused to lay the bet.

Any ideas of any real bookies out there that might take it? don't want to give out too much details since not my bet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Howjoe1 wrote: »
    A mate is trying to get a bet on. Looking at an up coming youngster and wants to back him to reach certain "goals" (not literally goals) in a future international career.

I suggested that Paddy Power would lay it given their reputation but surprisingly they have refused to lay the bet.

Any ideas of any real bookies out there that might take it? don't want to give out too much details since not my bet.

William Hill are good for this sort of stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

3DataModem wrote: »
    William Hill are good for this sort of stuff.

I would have thought the same.

william hill: no
    paddy power - no

not sure outside of them he might get it on.

I would be inclined to give Powers another go.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭shangri la

Why would the bookies bother with a bet where your mate is probably looking for 100/1 odds over a 15/20 year timeframe for E50 when they could refuse and take his money on markets they already offer. Look at it from their point of view. I would like to know the bet without knowing the kids name or a general idea what the bet is and what odds your mate expects.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,620 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

I got odds before from PP on kids playing soccer & rugby for Ireland.
    Didn't bother trying anybody else as they had replied with odds (not great odds in my opinion) but I'd say it would depend on the actual "goals" you are looking for.
    Anything out of the ordinary, forget about it.
    I wrote a letter to them instead of the usual emails.
    You will find it difficult nowadays to get them as there's really only the big 3.
    Anybody else mightn't be around when you go to collect.

shangri la wrote: »
    Why would the bookies bother with a bet where your mate is probably looking for 100/1 odds over a 15/20 year timeframe for E50 when they could refuse and take his money on markets they already offer. Look at it from their point of view. I would like to know the bet without knowing the kids name or a general idea what the bet is and what odds your mate expects.

who mentioned 100/1 ..they could have politely offered 6/4

the bet is based on an uncapped 21 yr old . cricket all rounder.

either

1. he will make 10 or more half centuries in runs & take 50 wickets or more.

2. he will make 20 or more half centuries in runs & take 50 wickets or more

the player is 21 yrs old and could be on verge on international call up soon.

• Advertisement

What timeframe are you looking for the bet to remain unsettled on their books?

What timeframe are you looking for the bet to remain unsettled on their books?

info above/ depends on what lenght of an international career a 21 might have.

i would suspect if he makes no break through in next five yrs then unlikely to be fulfilled. would putting an end date on it make it more layable?

info above/ depends on what lenght of an international career a 21 might have.

i would suspect if he makes no break through in next five yrs then unlikely to be fulfilled. would putting an end date on it make it more layable?

Almost certainly. Novelty one off bets need a realistic time frame.

For instance "Price X to score Y runs in professional test matches before the end of 201Z" is an infinitely more likely bet to be laid than the one above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

Of course it would, the bookie isnt going to lay it if you offered an infinite timeline, in order for them to even consider the bet it would need to be a realistic timeline for it be layed against otherwise the traders will bin it.

thanks...told him to try again with a set timeframe for outcome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Reminds me of when someone rang up looking to put a bet on Maggie Thatcher to die in the next week. Nearly fell off the seat laughing but he was serious, he qualified it with "well, you lot take odds on anything right?". Had to explain that it'd be a bit of a PR disaster if word got out that we were taking odds on when somebody snuffed it.

I'd imagine the only chance you have of getting something like this on is if you know an independant bookmaker well, but be prepared to be given odds of like 25/1 or something similarly ridiculous on a 12 year old playing in a World Cup or that. Bookmakers don't like not having the edge on something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Remember PP were offering odds on Obama to be killed during his first year of presidency.

They took it down then

Advertisement