Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me Blog

Options
  • 29-01-2012 9:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I really need to learn how to blog for my work. Is there anywhere I can get help with this? I would like tips and suggestions as well as critical review of my work. Do you think if I apply myself that I will be able to blog, or is it a talent unique to a few. Have any of you taken courses that helped.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

I really need to learn how to blog for my work. Is there anywhere I can get help with this?
    This site is a good first step: http://bit.ly/xn3Zoz
    Do you think if I apply myself that I will be able to blog, or is it a talent unique to a few.
    Very few people have the level of talent required to blog. Not that they let that hold them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

Wait... three posts? You're not going to start linking to websites selling v1@gr4 in a few minutes are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Why do you need to blog for your work?

I'm convinced that most blogs are self-indulgent waffle, which don't provide the reade with anything useful.

There are a couple of waffly blogs I read, because they are written by (literate) friends, but normally, I avoid all blogs except those which provide me with useful information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Arfan

We use a blog at work though certainly not as a blog is intended. We basically use it to store and sort useful tips and project related information.

Blogging is incredibly easy. Write something; post. Repeat until dead. A good blog is just a matter of good writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭PurpleBee

Antilles wrote: »
    Very few people have the level of talent required to blog. Not that they let that hold them back.

No level of talent is required to blog, I use myself as a prime example of that

• Advertisement

PurpleBee wrote: »
    No level of talent is required to blog, I use myself as a prime example of that

I'm guessing me meant blog that people actually want to read. I've lost count of all the blogs I've seen later that are some version of "As I sit looking at the rain running down my window, my thoughts wander back to the beginning of my writing journey..." Poke my eyes out, please.

you should write a blog about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Lady von Purple

I think blogs should be started only for selfish reasons. I have one, and I don't delude myself that my readers are overly interested in anything I have to say- rather, there is a blogging community and an attitude of 'I'll read yours if you read mine.' Or there is the way I do it anyway :)

But I started a blog when I was out of work to make sure I didn't stop writing entirely-bit of a sad spell- and then later kept it going to get me used to other people (people I'm not related to, for example) reading my work. In case I ever finish anything and attempt to get it published. That's a long way away admittedly, but still takes some getting used to. So, I blog.

There's no minimum level of talent required, it's very simple, straightforward, and there's an odd system of blog-networking that I've very much gotten into. Best of luck, but like I said, it's very straightforward. Even I can do it. :D

It's kind of pathetic though when you've had a blog for a while and there's no one reading it. I remember I got one follower after about a year, I went to her blog and it was mostly a moanologue about how much homework she got every day, still didn't take the shine off it

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I have 18 "followers" on my personal blog (I don't think anyone is subscribed to the poetry blog yet) but I know at least that many again see it frequently through Google Reader or via links on Facebook. It was very strange to hear that a girl from my class in college had read the whole thing recently... But either way, if it's fairly well written, people will start to take notice. You'll need to plug it a lot yourself in the early stages before word-of-mouth/keyboard catches on though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Local Outlier

Thank you very much for your replies. I have made some progress since by writing some blogs. I wish the words would flow easier for me! Finding content is easy for me but the difficult part is to writing it. I have no problem thinking it but writing it is another story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Arfan

EileenG wrote: »
    I'm guessing me meant blog that people actually want to read. I've lost count of all the blogs I've seen later that are some version of "As I sit looking at the rain running down my window, my thoughts wander back to the beginning of my writing journey..." Poke my eyes out, please.

Oh wow it's raining right now! I have to blog about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Arfan wrote: »
    Oh wow it's raining right now! I have to blog about this.

Wow it isn't raining right now! That would be worth blogging about, (if you live in Ireland). :)

I could cope with a blog about weather, but not about how it reflects your general misery, and how it reminds you of all the dreary emotions you felt in your life.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

EileenG wrote: »
    I could cope with a blog about weather, but not about how it reflects your general misery, and how it reminds you of all the dreary emotions you felt in your life.

I find rain invigorating. I definitely live in the right country!

Advertisement