Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Equal Prize Money

Options
  • 29-01-2012 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

I realise I'll probably get slated for this but here goes nothin'.......

After watching that final (and in all fairness most men's finals) it seems like a bit of a joke to me that women get the same prize money as the men when half the time their matches are over inside an hour.

What do the rest of you think about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,099 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I agree fully. If it wasn't for the men the game wouldn't be watched. I find the women's game quite boring. No offence, the only women's sport I watch is track and field, (oh and Katie Taylor). It's the same motion and mehanics, just slower times, shorter distances etc. With other sports that are so diverse, the women just cannot physically and mechanically compete aesthetically speaking.

The men deserve more pay. They play longer, stronger, faster, better and more aesthetically pleasing. Nature simply allows males to do physical acts that bit better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Huntelaar wrote: »
    I realise I'll probably get slated for this but here goes nothin'.......

After watching that final (and in all fairness most men's finals) it seems like a bit of a joke to me that women get the same prize money as the men when half the time their matches are over inside an hour.

What do the rest of you think about this?
    I'd agree, but it's not just the time that their matches take, it's the time preparing and training for the matches in order to be able to play top quality tennis for 5 sets. The women simply don't put in that effort (they don't have to) in between tournaments. Very few would be able to play a 5 setter nowadays, and few were able to do it in the past either. Not because they can't, but because they don't bother to train for it as it never happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭rjp123

out of embarrassment both azarenka and sharapova should give half their prize money to rafa and novak. its so wrong that they get equal prize money and such an example of political correctness gone mad. the sooner someone has the balls (no pun) to call it the better. and if anyone asks how the no.1 woman would get on against the no.1 man they should be made watch that final a thousand times

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

The one thing that I would say about the game is that it is very cyclical. Right now men's tennis is much more competitive and popular but it is worth remembering that at the turn of the century the ladies game was booming and proving much more popular and competitive than the men's game.

It was the same story at many times in the past when the men's game lulled the ladies was top class. The current era in the men's game is arguably the most competitive that I can ever remember and we are blessed to have four really talented players and three great champions but the ladies game could develop into that in the coming years just as easily.

Its fair to say that right now the ladies do not deserve the right to equal pay but in a few years when the men's game is suffering will people be calling for the women to get more money?

I can understand the logic of the men play five sets and deserve more money, and in fairness I agree with it by and large, but the fact is that with equal pay offered to both sets of players we are not going to revert to the old system

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Also want to add that they still incur the same expenses, both need to pay for a coach, pay for travel, food and accommodation. I know this does is not a problem for the higher ranked women who make money from endorsements, but for the lower ranked they need equal money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Pay them equal money if it means no 5 set ladies matches:P

Advertisement