Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

siskin

Options
  • 29-01-2012 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

we used to have siskin in dingle
    but we do not have siskins this yaear unfortunatly

we have a little egret in the esturary in dingle co kerry but he does need seem to have black legs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭maesdavid

Where are all the siskin we have none in dingle also the egret in dingle has red legs is this right

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Pie Man

could it of been a stork you saw instead of a egret.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

maesdavid wrote: »
    Where are all the siskin we have none in dingle also the egret in dingle has red legs is this right

As this winter has been a lot milder than the last few, it could be that the Siskins are still finding plenty of food in the surrounding woodlands. January/February are usually the months when thy start appearing in urban gardens (as other food sources become depleted).

Peanuts seem to be the best food for Siskins.

Re the Little Egret: In some cases, the bare skin of Egrets can become red-coloured - I think this was due to diet. Here is a good example*:
    http://club300.de/photo/silberreiher977209.jpg

*I know it is a Great White rather than Little Egret, but the effect is the same :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

V_Moth wrote: »

Re the Little Egret: In some cases, the bare skin of Egrets can become red-coloured - I think this was due to diet. Here is a good example*:
    http://club300.de/photo/silberreiher977209.jpg

*I know it is a Great White rather than Little Egret, but the effect is the same :)
    During the breeding season the leg colour of great white egrets can turn red. Also the bill darkens to black. A little egret's legs will always be black with yellow feet and do not change.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭maesdavid

why do books say we do not have them in Ireland iv a few books and they are all the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

Had my first Siskin of the year to visit my garden today...Only spotted 2... Could it be to do with the bad weather over in the UK...

siskin2.jpg

siskin.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 31 sineadom

siskin.jpg

I know there are siskins in my garden. I took this (crap) pic of one once just outside the fence and our garden is full of alders which they love but no matter how much nyjer seed and peanuts I put out they have yet to come near my feeder! *huff* :mad:

Advertisement