Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To buy or to build a house

Options
  • 29-01-2012 1:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,

I'm new to this but hope I can get some advice. I'm planning on venturing into my first home with my fiance, getting married next yr. At the early stages of planning and my question is whether to build or to buy. There are many sites in our interest areas that seem nice as well as houses for sale. I'm wondering if cost wise - can it work out cheaper to build a house? I like the idea as we can make it our own. (have no idea of square footage or such details). Could be dormer / two storey / bungalow - would ideally like 4bedrooms, maybe study, kitchen, dining and living room.

Apart from price of site, any general idea / ball park figure of cost of building such a house?

Generally, is planning permission very strict if you want to be creative with house styles?

Also hoping to build a chalet or separate living area for my mother to live with us. Would something like this add a huge cost when building? I realise these seem like really general questions but I really dont have a clue at this stage! Would be hoping to get cracking on by end of this year so we might have somewhere to live around the time of our wedding (willing to wait if needs be)

Would really appreciate any general opinions or advice on whether to build or buy? or on any other of the issues raised?

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement