Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business Studies minor?

Options
  • 29-01-2012 4:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone I am a second year business student, I am majoring in economics and finance and i have to pick my minor in 4 weeks. Ive spoken to all the lecturers about the minor options already but i just wanted a student perspective, if you have done or are doing any of these id appreciate the help. Whats it like? do you think it adds much onto to your degree in terms of what an employer wants and is there a demand for someone with a minor in this, do you think?

[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Business Informatics
    [/FONT][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Business Research Methods and FYP
    [/FONT][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Entrepreneurship
    [/FONT][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Financial Services
    [/FONT][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Law
    [/FONT][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Management
    [/FONT][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Organisational Psychology
    [/FONT][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Quantitative Analysis for Business
    [/FONT][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Sociology
    [/FONT][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Supply Chain Management[/FONT][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]obalisation
    globalisation – An Economics Perspective
    [/FONT]

to be honest im leaning towards Globalisation ( I alrwady enjoy economics and politics) or financial services ( I also enjoy this but think it would be in more demand by employers?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Belly OS

Hi there,

I graduated from BBS in January. Like you I majored in Economics & Finance. I took on the Globalization minor and thoroughly enjoyed it. Can't remember names of modules but I took it on cause I really enjoyed Economics going all the way back to my LC. They were all very interesting modules, I believe anyway. They maybe the same but just more updated to go with whats happening in today's economy. They will require a good bit of work but in the end the exams aren't the toughest, especially when you say you enjoy Economics anyway. Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Belly

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

TEMPLAR,

I also did Economics & Finance, I graduated over the summer.
    I took the Financial Services Minor. It's the most popular minor, and the modules are interesting and taught well, but in hind sight it wasn't for me.

At the time I was choosing between Financial Services, and Information Management (I see it's not on your list, but I assume it would be something like Business Informatics.) I choose Financial Services because having read the Information Management module descriptions I was already comfortable with large chunks of some of the modules (one module had a 20-40% project which I had effectively already done). While I might have learnt slightly more by taking the Financial Services module, it wasn't 'where my heart was'.

Do what you are most interested in. Not sure what that is? Make appointments to meet the heads of the minors you're considering. They'll be happy to talk (*sell* some will try to sell you into it!) about their minor.

Belly OS : Such an obvious username :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Belly OS

Hahaha. Ya I know but I don't really care who knows who I am to be honest :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9 bookofstones

Templar

I also graduated myself in the summer, did accounting and finance with fin services. When you ask "what's in demand by employers?" I think it depends on what career you're looking for. I had no great interest in accounting and found this minor to be closest part of the course to the area I was interested in. One very boring class initially but the other two were good, may have just been the teacher.. If it's economics you like best then I would go for that ( don't know anything about that class) but be warned that there's very few economics jobs atm, especially in Ireland. That being said do what you enjoy, it's more important long term. If it's finance then I would say you should def go for the financial services. You're right, for most employers it probably looks more solid.

Economics and politics-sounds like you might be interested in the energy world but again not a great amount of that in Ireland. I think where you see yourself is more important than what the lecturers say.

Belly OS - Way too obvious!!:pac:

I also graduated myself in the summer, did accounting and finance with fin services.

Belly OS - Way too obvious!!:pac:

Belly OS, like giving candy to a baby.

bookofstones though is a lot tougher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 galwayu

So what minor is everyone thinking of taking??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

Belly OS wrote: »
    Hi there,

I graduated from BBS in January. Like you I majored in Economics & Finance. I took on the Globalization minor and thoroughly enjoyed it. Can't remember names of modules but I took it on cause I really enjoyed Economics going all the way back to my LC. They were all very interesting modules, I believe anyway. They maybe the same but just more updated to go with whats happening in today's economy. They will require a good bit of work but in the end the exams aren't the toughest, especially when you say you enjoy Economics anyway. Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Belly

Hi belly thanks for the reply, I think I may pick globalisation. Have you had much luck with jobs/ interviews since you graduated?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

Can someone,clarify for me, if you're doing a language are you required to pick a minor? asked John about this and he gave some vague response regarding the option to take an fyp, yet it still didn't answer my original question...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

As far as I'm aware doing a language means you don't pick a minor. It's one of the reasons I dropped French.

Slugs wrote: »
    Can someone,clarify for me, if you're doing a language are you required to pick a minor? asked John about this and he gave some vague response regarding the option to take an fyp, yet it still didn't answer my original question...

The language effectively is your minor. You don't have the opportunity to choose a minor.
    However, you can still do an FYP (which is a minor choice) in place of some of the core business modules if you're doing BSS+Language

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭cocaholic

I have done law and sociology. Law can be really boring particularly land law, company law etc. Sociology has a lot of political undertones so you may like that. Modules I did in sociology were globalisation, welfare state and health and illness. Sociology is a lot of work regarding essays and assignments, law is just an exam and only a tutorial every 2nd week.

Advertisement