Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clubs/Socs Recruitment Drive

Options
  • 29-01-2012 2:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hey all. Had a a lax attitude to the clubs/socs so far during my time. Have tried a few, been disappointed by a few societies. Hope to give history another try, but didn't seem to be a lot of activity the past year. Will give it a try again. I guess what i'm looking for is a club/soc that meets up every week or has a high level activity. Heading to the recruitment drive tuesday, good chance for clubs/socs to promote themselves here. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

I'm just gonna jump in here and say that, irrespective if you're joining the best Soc on campus (*cough* music soc *cough* ;)) or another Soc or Club, make sure you do one thing.... PRE-REGISTER ON THE UL WOLVES WEBSITE BEFORE YOU SHOW UP! It makes my job and the jobs of the other Clubs and Socs a lot easier when it comes to bringing in new members.

To pre-register, go here: http://ulwolves.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

Read this thread or look at this activity list

It will give some idea of a club or societies with a high level of activity.

Go on tuesday, look at every club and society and join the one that you think is the best for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭chicgroovy101

I also have a similar question about clubs & socs so I said I'd keep it in the same thread....
    I'm wondering specifically about Water Polo? I would be joining on my own so is the club welcoming of new members, because I have heard rumours of some clubs being quite a closed group etc.
    And my level of swimming is only average aswell - would I be able for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭CJKeane

When/where is the recruitment drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Fraher91

I also have a similar question about clubs & socs so I said I'd keep it in the same thread....
    I'm wondering specifically about Water Polo? I would be joining on my own so is the club welcoming of new members, because I have heard rumours of some clubs being quite a closed group etc.
    And my level of swimming is only average aswell - would I be able for it?

I found the political societies hard to break into, if you're not in from the start, it's very difficult and also when you don't follow their idealogy etc.
    Recruitment drive is Tuesday 4-7pm in the foundation building.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Mikel91

Fraher91 wrote: »
    I found the political societies hard to break into, if you're not in from the start, it's very difficult and also when you don't follow their idealogy etc.

Um I'd like to know which ones your basing that off...?

I joined Ogra FF this time last year and I've never regretted the decision.I've made some of my closest friends and had some of my best nights out with them,along with having some of the best political discussions and debates I've ever had.In fact everyone who joined this time last year ended up staying in(And we all have our own views and opinions).

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Landoflemon

Just a minor thing, but according to an email I received from Paul Lee as I'm going to be there with a club, the times are slightly different:

"The OPC will have the stalls set up by 4.30pm
    You will have an hour to “decorate” and set up your own displays from 4.30pm-5.30pm
    5.30pm-8.30pm is the Recruitment Drive for the wider campus"

Just to clear up any confusion on the times.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

No point joining a political party if you don't follow their ideology imo

bazkennedy wrote: »
    No point joining a political party if you don't follow their ideology imo

Yeah i guess so. I suppose it didn't really appeal to me either to have to go to meetings in my own county either.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ginge Young

Hey Fraher,

If your interested in something new the Outdoor Pursuits Club offers of a lot. I've been involved myself the past 4 years and can say UL wouldn't have been the same for me without it.

We are one of the most active clubs in the Uni. Trips away every weekend to different parts of the country (some of them full weekend, others day trips). These can be for anything from hiking, orienteering, rock climbing and mountaineering.

During the week we the climbing wall will be open a minimum of 9 hours (still finalizing this as we just got a brand new climbing wall built with the help of Buildings and Estates and our members). Various training sessions on for climbing, orienteering and caving along with mid week caving trips too.

Membership is 5 euro, day trips typically 10 euro and weekend trips 35-40 euro (that includes, travel accommodation, breakfasts and dinners for 1 or 2 nights). We've also won Club of the Year the past 2 years.

All in all amazing club with a tonne of great people and gives you great opportunity loads of different people from across the world because we get a load of Erasmus and Study Abroad students each semester.

Message me if you have any questions and you can check our website out too if you want. www.ulopc.com

Edit: Forgot to mention we usually hold 3 international trips a year, sometimes 4. One just happened in January to Scotland but a Caving trip to Yorkshire and a climbing trip to the Alps in the summer will be coming up. There may be a trad/sport climbing trip somewhere too.

• Advertisement

Thanks Keith. Appreciate the information.

Advertisement