Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nordic Folklore

• 28-01-2012 5:55pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend any good resources on Nordic Folklore and myth? I was trying to read up on Icelandic folklore online but I couldn't seem to find a huge amount, maybe because it's mostly in Icelandic though.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

how scholarly do you want to go?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Tabnabs wrote: »
    how scholarly do you want to go?

Not massively I suppose, but I'd take something more indepth if that was all I could get. It's an overview really, I've already done some reading on the World Tree and the Gods I just want to expand my knowledge really.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Kevin Crossly-Holland's book is probably one of the best introductions with a good bibliography

http://www.amazon.com/Norse-Myths-Pantheon-Folklore-Library/dp/0394748468

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I suppose what you should be looking for is the Edda, Hávamál and Völuspa.
    Are you interested in a particular story or aspect of Nordic folklore?

A great fiction book is The Long Ships if you're into Vikings.

See if you can find a copy of Hrafninn Flygur
    The narrator of this trailer made me lol big time :D

I was trying to read up on elves in Iceland for a story I was writing and could find very few actual tales, lots of general overview.

I think I'm going to get the book that Tabnabs linked when I next order from Amazon.

• Advertisement

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I was trying to read up on elves in Iceland for a story I was writing and could find very few actual tales, lots of general overview.

They don't have elves as such in Nordic folklore, trolls, nisse, hulder, jotun, vaettir and lots of other interesting characters, but elves and pixies and such are more English in origin.

Asbjørnsen and Moe were avid collectors of Norwegian folklore and as their material is outside of copyright (due to its age) it is freely avaialable
    eg http://www.surlalunefairytales.com/authors/asbjornsen_moe.html

Tabnabs wrote: »
    They don't have elves as such in Nordic folklore, trolls, nisse, hulder, jotun, vaettir and lots of other interesting characters, but elves and pixies and such are more English in origin.

Asbjørnsen and Moe were avid collectors of Norwegian folklore and as their material is outside of copyright (due to its age) it is freely avaialable
    eg http://www.surlalunefairytales.com/authors/asbjornsen_moe.html

Iceland has elves, they even have an elf school in Reyjkavik.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭Lady Chuckles

We do have elves, at least in Sweden (älvor) :)
    I remember stories from where I grew up about elf girls dancing in the mist late at night and that they're dangerous :)

alvalek.jpg?w=510

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

In the Edda there are elves, Dökkálfar and Ljósálfar (Dark and Light Elves).

Advertisement