Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ground anchors in underground car park

Options
  • 28-01-2012 6:49pm

Hi All,

Has anyone ever installed a ground anchor in their parking spaces underground?.

I own the apartment and space so I was hoping that I'd be allowed to do so. Naturally enough I'll be calling the management company on Monday but I was just wondering if anyone else has gone through the same thing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

In anticipation of the agent's concern re. "trip hazards" and health n safety:
    - you could suggest a recessed model, with a cover flush with the surface. ( a bit more fiddly to use)
    - choose a location only used by motorbikes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

If you own the parking space you shouldn't have to ask anyones permission. Its always better to seek forgiveness afterward...

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

If it's not an option, try getting a long almax chain and putting it around a concrete pillar.
    My bike is in an ug car park too, chained to a sewage pipe. Doubt they'll chance cutting through that

• Registered Users Posts: 33,820 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Paparazzo wrote: »
    If it's not an option, try getting a long almax chain and putting it around a concrete pillar.
    My bike is in an ug car park too, chained to a sewage pipe. Doubt they'll chance cutting through that

its its plastic then they would have no issues what so ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

I've got mine chained to some sort of power cables. I think it might be the lighting for the car-park or something. I'd actually love to see someone try to cut through it.

• Advertisement

Thanks all. The carpark is in some limbo state because it is managed by a different agency than the apartment itself. Seems like it was spun-off because of some hassle in the past.

I do have a massive concrete pillar at my space so that is an option. Alternatively I could put an anchor right beside it because if someone did manage to trip on it then they would have been walking into the pillar already!

It is all speculation for another couple of months as I'm trying to flog the car first but I have my eye on a Kawasaki Versys 650.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭sf80

put the anchor on the pillar, might make it more difficult for someone to attack it or the chain, plus no trip hazard

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

Management companies are generally the most useless shower of anuses, they do not want to do any work they don't have to do. So they'll just say no. even it the anchor was at a wall or pillar where it would not be a hazard they wouldn't be bothered sending anyone to inspect/approve your proposed anchor point as it'll only cost them money and make them liable - and they'll resent you for wasting their time asking. The only time they want to hear from you is when you're paying your annual fee.

Like interceptor said - don't bother asking and just do it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Just install it and say nothing, you might be lucky and noone else will notice.

Thanks all, going to go with the "just installing it" option after calculating the length of chain I'd need to go around the pillar! I have a nice discreet place to put it so I can't imagine anyone tripping on it there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Position a couple of traffic cones and wear a hi-viz and hard-hat. It will be the perfect camouflage. No one will see or remember you.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 T954

I've got mine chained to some sort of power cables. I think it might be the lighting for the car-park or something. I'd actually love to see someone try to cut through it.

It could be done...... I wouldn't put it past some people to give it a shot.....depending on how desperate they are.

As for a ground anchor in an ug car park I'd be very carefull about installing one there are probably all sorts of insurance and legal pit falls should anyone get injured as a result of the anchor or should anyones property be damaged by it. Just sayin....I wouldn't do it unless I had it in writing that it was ok. Even then I'd check that the letter was enough.

Advertisement