Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap car insurance?

Options
  • 28-01-2012 6:19pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭

Looking for suggestions mine is due for renewal in Feb. I was with Quinn and was paying €1046.20 for fully comp, now im over 25 and the renewal price is €1112.74 with 1 years no claims - jokers.

My friend is with Asguard, any use? Got a quote on 25 plus.ie with €750 excess for the same amount as Quinn last year, Quote devil gave a number just under 1000, any others?

Comments

Tesco, 123.ie, Nononsense.ie for the online ones?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭malin182

I just got a quote from AA for €843.28. Pretty good but is it a decent company does anyone know for claims etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

AA are a broker rather than a company. You need to get out the Golden Pages and ring every ins co and a good selection of brokers for the best quote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Anan1 wrote: »
    AA are a broker rather than a company. You need to get out the Golden Pages and ring every ins co and a good selection of brokers for the best quote.

Done that this week and saved 150 euro on one policy alone even though we ended up with the same insurance company again.. Quinn were almost 3k extra for another policy which I renewed ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

There is no substitute for ringing around. I was getting renewal quotes during the week and they vary widely. Just some of the quotes I got

123.ie 1055
    FBD 983
    Quinn 1142
    Axa 725
    AA 820
    Aviva 1014 (over 200 more than I paid them last year:confused::confused:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

malin182 wrote: »
    I just got a quote from AA for €843.28. Pretty good but is it a decent company does anyone know for claims etc?

AA's system scans all the insurance providers signed up to them(pratically all of them) when you enter all your details. Then it comes up with the best one for you based on the info you have supplied. Depending on the commission they take for themselves, you could get a very keen quote. Just saved €120 with them.Thanks for starting this thread:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

britton insurance, first direct etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Onedirect, definitely the best value for mine!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭malin182

alan1990 wrote: »
    Onedirect, definitely the best value for mine!

One Direct gave me by far the worst quote, thought I was putting my details in wrong till I went back to check, 1800!!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

One Direct have a very specific target market and a 25 year old man with one years NCB is not it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

Brittons insurance ive been with them 3 years only just renewed their always willing to beat a cheaper quote they beat an axa quote by nearly €100 and through in step back and reduced the excess to €250:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I'm reliably informed that Quinn are re launching to Liberty on 20th February with some competitive prices and t-shirts

Kinda useless info if your renewal is pre that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

chill.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

My own insurance is up for renewal and I decided to shop around. The quotes I was given went anywhere from 860Euro (One Direct) to 516Euro from the AA (no breakdown assist included but I could purchase a full AA membership for a discount if I took out the policy).

I'm a 36 year old male driver with a full (clean) Irish licence, held for over 11 years and 9+ years no claims bonus. I called Britton insurance and was given a quote with the same policy benefits as I have now (full NCD protection, windscreen cover etc) of 467Euro.

Happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

Chill.ie got me a great quote
    With some crowd called kenco or something

Hope there not the coffee

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭marcus2000

the actual only way to find the cheapest insurance (As boring as it sounds) is to shop around every time. each broker can have a different deal with the insurers, and sometimes these discounts are actually targetted at particular segments (age groups etc). Yesterday, the young inexperienced male may get a great quote but as quickly as today, that broker/website/insurer may agree a new discount that targets the female with the full bonus etc...big discounts can be flipped that quickly!!

also, dont just fill out the online forms though - ring them!!Personally, I got a 40quid discount last year by adding my sister. (the girl on the phone told me to do it!!!!!) (there is no way ill be letting her drive my car though !!! :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Sham Courtney

I'll be going with my local crowd http://fitzgeraldinsurances.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭lew1s

Hi,i have been with tesco car insurance for a year. but had small car crash. I was paying around 1100 and now its going up to 1500. I cancel the insurance with them and looking for some better price ...
    any idea?

how many penalty points i have ?

thx

I'll be going with my local crowd http://fitzgeraldinsurances.ie/

They are a broker.

lew1s wrote: »
    Hi,i have been with tesco car insurance for a year. but had small car crash. I was paying around 1100 and now its going up to 1500. I cancel the insurance with them and looking for some better price ...
    any idea?

thx

You still have to disclose the claim. Try Google. Also, are you asking how many points you have ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Steven81

If you ever get a renewal quote ring up every other insurance company and if they are cheaper ring up your current broker and ask if they can do any better, told all the lads about this and they will always take a bit of. Well worth the phone call

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

lew1s wrote: »
    any idea?

thx

If you dont know nobody here is going to be able to tell you!

You should really have rang around to get better prices before you cancled. As far as I know the insurance company is not obliged to stand over that quote of 1500 if you cancled the policy. You may not be able to get cheaper insurance else where if you have a claim.

Also be aware if you have cancled the policy you are no longer insured to drive on the road.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Also you lost the years NCB you would have earned as a result of cancelling early .

Also you lost the years NCB you would have earned as a result of cancelling early .

If it went up as a result of the crash, you'd assume he was renewing and just didn't renew which means he'd get the NCB but would have lost it from the crash again anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

One Direct have a very specific target market and a 25 year old man with one years NCB is not it.

At a guess I'd imagine the kind of folk who find pat shortt funny :-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭SEAN_DUB

malin182 wrote: »
    Looking for suggestions mine is due for renewal in Feb. I was with Quinn and was paying €1046.20 for fully comp, now im over 25 and the renewal price is €1112.74 with 1 years no claims - jokers.

My friend is with Asguard, any use? Got a quote on 25 plus.ie with €750 excess for the same amount as Quinn last year, Quote devil gave a number just under 1000, any others?

Hi malin182, Im with Asguard now went through campion insurances in cork and found them the cheapest in Ireland. I'm 18 with a full licence and no NCB and my policy is €1850 on a 1.4 Golf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Bubblegum18

Hi I just got a quote from Britton Insurance for €1226.00 third Party for a 19 year old girl on a provisional licence for a 1 litre Volkswagen polo. Does this seem believable or will I get a massive shock when it comes to final payment? I went as far as I could online without actually paying them. The reason I say this is because every other insurer is looking for over 2000!!!
    Id really appreciate some feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Hi I just got a quote from Britton Insurance for €1226.00 third Party for a 19 year old girl on a provisional licence for a 1 litre Volkswagen polo. Does this seem believable or will I get a massive shock when it comes to final payment? I went as far as I could online without actually paying them. The reason I say this is because every other insurer is looking for over 2000!!!
    Ring them.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Sounds plausible. My 19 brother had a quote for 1300 tpft on an 07 Micra.

Definitely ring though. No question.

Tbh its very low. I'd say the policy is the bare minimum. Like Alan said, call them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Britton has a 4k excess..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement