Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fadhb gramadach!!!

Options
  • 28-01-2012 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hi guys, I was wondering if someone could clear up something for me. I notice whenever I'm reading Irish books/magazines I don't know what the difference is between 'chuig' , 'chun' and 'do'. I always seem to get confused weather it means 'to' or 'for' etc so could someone please give me a simple reply as to what each word means and when you would use it.
    Cheers, mark.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Bogtha ó Theach na nGealt. Níos oiriúnaí anseo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

The unhelpful but true response is that there isn't a simple answer. Prepositions are probably the trickiest words to master in any language, and even people who learn a second language very well can slip up in using them.

It is sometimes helpful (but extra work) to try to remember verb-preposition pairs and how they are used.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭AnamGlas

Hi guys, I was wondering if someone could clear up something for me. I notice whenever I'm reading Irish books/magazines I don't know what the difference is between 'chuig' , 'chun' and 'do'. I always seem to get confused weather it means 'to' or 'for' etc so could someone please give me a simple reply as to what each word means and when you would use it.
    Cheers, mark.
    "do" is a very general term for "to", can be used in most places.

"chuig" i think this would be a more direct application, where there is a destination involved - chuig an leabharlann

"chun" is when time or an action is involved, e.g. ceathrú chun a tri, chun chabhraigh a chara

don't take this as gospel, i'm still only learning myself! open to correction

Advertisement