Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dressmaker in Dublin area

Options
  • 28-01-2012 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

I am looking for a dressmaker in Dublin who can make a couple of tops similar to 2 that I have already. I have the fabric which is jersey, but I don't want to have to pay a fortune to have them made. Most dressmakers do bridal wear etc., so I don't think they would be interested in a small job of a couple of tops. Any ideas would be great, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

Have you asked any alterations tailors or the like? They should be able to make an unstructured garment like that, but expect to pay E60+ or more depending in the material.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Monsclara

ladhrann wrote: »
    Have you asked any alterations tailors or the like? They should be able to make an unstructured garment like that, but expect to pay E60+ or more depending in the material.

Hi Ladhrann. Thanks for that. I've been to a couple of tailors and alterations places, but they all say, they don't have the sewing machine to work with the fabric - light jersey. It's stretchy and they say if they use their machines it will become tight and puckered?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

I see, sorry I didn't see that bit about the fabric. In that case it may need to be sewn either by hand or with a machine that can do low tension.

Here are two bespoke dressmakers in Dublin, they may be willing to do a few pieces like this for you:
    http://www.anneomahony.com/
    http://www.mkeoghbridaldesigner.com/

Also if you're in Dún Laoghaire this maker is very well regarded:

Thamos Wolfangel,
    24 Melifoint House,
    Mellifont Avenue,
    Dunlaoghaire.
    Tel: 01 2807066

Give them a ring and see what they say to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Monsclara

Thanks Ladhrann. A textile friend tells me a I need to find someone with a 4 thread over locker (whatever that means!), but I'll check out your suggestions.

Advertisement