Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I have to sign contract

Options
  • 28-01-2012 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

I've been working for a company for 16 months and they have now offered me a full time contract.

My problem is

1.My contract states that I must use my own vehicle for work purposes if it's required
    2.They can change my shift at a moments notice

Ive been told I won't receive pay until the contract is signed.

What are the consequences of me not signing this contract

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

on 1 ask for the line "In the event of this being required milegae at the Civil Service rate will be paid."

on 2 don't like this but you would have to weight that up Ask for "in consultation with the employee and upon agreement with said employee"

Not sure they can withhold pay so maybe contact NERA (employment rights crowd) if they still exist for advice on that

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Umpalumpa

on 1 ask for the line "In the event of this being required milegae at the Civil Service rate will be paid."

on 2 don't like this but you would have to weight that up Ask for "in consultation with the employee and upon agreement with said employee"

Not sure they can withhold pay so maybe contact NERA (employment rights crowd) if they still exist for advice on that

Thanks for the reply.

I have asked for the contract to be changed but they have refused.The problem I have using my car is my insurance is for "social and domestic use only".I have been told as from the start of feb I will be working without a contract and if I don't sign I won't get paid and I will lose my job

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

You should be able to get your insurance changed to class 2 with your employer indemnified, you can get a letter from the insurance company stating the difference in price between sdp and class 2 for your employer to pay the difference.

Alternatively, depending on what you will be using the car for you may be able to get class 1 insurance, most insurance companies charge the same rates for class 1 and sdp so that may be an option. Just make sure your employer provides you with a written statement of what you will be using the car for and a signed contract specifying that.

Advertisement