Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar Panels for heating water...

Options
  • 28-01-2012 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

Looking at retro fitting a 20 tube Kingspan solar panel to a 3 bed semi. Approx 100Sq meters house. The cost with the grant is around 3,200 euro. I'm wondering what are the realistic savings I could make per month using a system like this? It will be South facing and main usage will be between March and Oct.
    Is it realistic to think that it would have paid for itself in 5 years?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭freddyuk

How big is the cylinder and is this all in including installation and VAT?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭lalorm

The price included installation and VAT. There would be a new cylinder. Not sure of it's capacity, but as far as I know, it's larger than the standard cylinder currently in the house.
    Is it worth it I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭freddyuk

OK here is a link to the information required to be eligible for a grant under the better Homes scheme.
    http://www.seai.ie/Renewables/Solar_Energy/Solar_Policy_and_Funding/Solar_Grants/

You can check with your professional installer for all the information you require. They should answer all your questions if the information has been supplied and confirm the size of installation for your property and why. You can then see what pricing options you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

lalorm wrote: »
    Looking at retro fitting a 20 tube Kingspan solar panel to a 3 bed semi. Approx 100Sq meters house. The cost with the grant is around 3,200 euro. I'm wondering what are the realistic savings I could make per month using a system like this? It will be South facing and main usage will be between March and Oct.
    Is it realistic to think that it would have paid for itself in 5 years?

Probably not...depends on how much hot water you use and when and where you use it. Most hot water in houses is used in electric showers, washing machines mainly electrically heated,dishwashers ditto, and your hot water tank (and if u have to wait a while for your water to come hot an awful lot of your hot water goes cool in the pipe...)

That said, if you've a large household who take a lot of baths and use the hot water tank(showers) a lot, might be worth it, the new tank will prob be a lot more efficient too,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ledbulb

Is not realistic to think that it would have paid for itself in 5 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

lalorm wrote: »
    I'm wondering what are the realistic savings I could make
    About €300 a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Mikko Mallikas

I can supply quotes to anyone who is interested, contact me via pm. can put you in touch with turbine suppliers, or p.v suppliers either.

Got a set of (flat) panels and a three hundred litre tank and my dad is in the process of fitting .. We're tearing our house apart anyway so when the panels came up on web cheap I said why not
    They're on a south facing roof but think they should be at a steeper angle.. There's a large sycamore up the hill that's going to have to become firewood too as it kind of shades the house...I'll report back when they're fully plumbed in ...

Anyone wants the number of the panel and tank guy then let me know ... He's S.E.I. Approved .but I dunno if that means much ... 2 panels, tank and controller is 6 something...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭BrianHal

Markcheese wrote: »
    Got a set of (flat) panels and a three hundred litre tank and my dad is in the process of fitting .. We're tearing our house apart anyway so when the panels came up on web cheap I said why not
    They're on a south facing roof but think they should be at a steeper angle.. There's a large sycamore up the hill that's going to have to become firewood too as it kind of shades the house...I'll report back when they're fully plumbed in ...

Anyone wants the number of the panel and tank guy then let me know ... He's S.E.I. Approved .but I dunno if that means much ... 2 panels, tank and controller is 6 something...

Did you get it all fitted?

Tanks in seems all good , panels are up and plumbed in ,but not filled yet , dad not rushing up on the roof in winter :) . Wouldn't be a whole pile of heat from them in winter anyhow....
    Oh and the sycamore's still shading the back .... Think yr man I got them from still has a shed full of them(friend of my ol' fellas getting a set)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭BrianHal

Could you give a ball-park figure for the whole setup, pre or post grant, whichever?

BrianHal wrote: »
    Could you give a ball-park figure for the whole setup, pre or post grant, whichever?

I think the tank , two flat panels the controller and pressure vessel came in about 850 /900 (I'd have to check receipt)
    We got away with using copper pipe between panels and tank cos it was a short run , a couple of flashing units for the slates cost about 80 for the 2 , apart from labour that's it ... We've got to put anti freeze in assume that'll be a couple of hundred ... Labour was free cos my dad did it and knew what he was doing ... but there was a good bit of time spent getting it in and straight...
    Haven't applied for the SEI grant .... Hope that helps

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 45 peter65

Hi guys, I have 20 kingspan vacuum tubes with a complete roof kit available if anyone is interested. The reason I have them is I upgraded my whole system and didn't have place for three banks of tubes on the roof. Pm for details and photos

Thanks

Advertisement