Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worried about Arthritis

Options
  • 28-01-2012 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Ok this sounds a little ridiculous because I'm only 24, but I've recently broken my femur for the second time in three years after falling from a horse, and I'm worried about arthritis. I have since had a metal plate inserted in the bone.

I know some retired jockeys and the like who have terrible arthritis after years of not minding their limbs or from inadequate recovery. I'm going to raise it with my doctor the next time I attend the fracture clinic, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips for general health and avoiding arthritis over the years.

Both times I have broken the femur close to the hip joint, and it is my hip that I am particularly worried for. :(

I'm not asking for medical advice per se, just general tips on health and well being the same as you would give to a person prone to bad cholesterol genetics.

Sorry if this forum is inappropriate, I know some people here have more serious concerns.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭cltt97

I'm not really qualified to comment, but I've never heard about broken bones being indicative of a tendency to develop arthritis. If you break a lot of bones I would go and get a dexa scan done to see if you have any signs of osteoporosis. But falling from horses I guess comes with a certain amount of risk... In any case, lots of movement, especially weight bearing exercises and a healthy diet full of calcium and vitamin D should keep your bones healthy. and physio after a broken bone to make sure your make up for muscle loss/wastage during recovery.

Advertisement