Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new Therapy? album

Options
  • 28-01-2012 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭

Crooked Timber a couple of years ago was a return to form. The new album is due out next week and it seems like its gonna be another great release...

Am I the only one really looking forward to hearing it? They are still knocking out great tunes, reinventing themselves and still one of the great live bands.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

Am a big fan, looking forward to it although I liked Crooked Timber I don't think it was quite the masterpiece some make it out to be. But they are a band that rarely disappoint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I've liked Therapy? a lot through the years and always buy the albums when they come out. While I usually like them on first listen, the one from the past 10 years or rarely have any 'holding power' and I lose interest and after the first week or so they don't get a listen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Am I the only one really looking forward to hearing it?
    No, I'll be checking it out too. Thanks for the heads-up!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Heard quite a bit from the new album already, and must say that I was very unimpressed by what I heard.

Very generic, and lacking any kind of spark. Plus I thought that Cairns' vocals were pretty poor.

Might give it another listen when it comes out so that I can hear the rest of the tracks but I am not holding out much hope for it being a good album.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

Kess73 wrote: »
    Heard quite a bit from the new album already, and must say that I was very unimpressed by what I heard.

Very generic, and lacking any kind of spark. Plus I thought that Cairns' vocals were pretty poor.

Might give it another listen when it comes out so that I can hear the rest of the tracks but I am not holding out much hope for it being a good album.

Where did you hear it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

jpm4 wrote: »
    Where did you hear it?

Was back home in Liverpool twice in the last week so got to hear the first six tracks of an advance copy of the album.

I got to hear it on a pretty good sound system ( Was the radio station's own system) and I was bored after the first track. It's not that anything was particularly bad (bar some of Cairns' vocals when they were not distorted) in terms of how the instruments were played, it just sounded dated and boring to me, the kind of album that after one spin becomes a dust gatherer.

Was hoping it sounded better because Therapy? are a band that really caught my ear at the start of the 1990's and they blew me away with Troublegum not to mention countless live shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Had my first listen of it this morning. The first single, In The Shadow Of The Terrible Thing had me excited about the direction the album would take, but TBH, I thought it sounded a bit disjointed, the vocals didn't seem to mesh well with the music. I think Therapy have released another left of center album. Every time they achieve some sort of mainstream success (*sic, Crooked Timber), they do their best to prove that they are not mainstream - and believe me when I say that that isn't always a bad thing, I have loved Therapy through most of their incarnations until I lost touch with them somewhere after So Much For The Ten Year Plan... Crooked Timber still gets plenty of airtime with me and reintroduced me to their newer stuff.

I'm really hoping this album is a grower!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Yep, its a grower.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Gave it a listen on the way to work, so I haven't really given it my full attention. But I kind of got the same impression as Kess73.

Some Therapy albums sink in immediately. High Anxiety was like that. But this one will require a few more listens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

The last couple of T? albums have been called a "return to form" ffs. Now I loved Crocked Timber, but can't get into this one yet. The mix on some of the songs doesn't seem right to me. Andys vocals seem buried behind the drums, when not distorted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement