Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alumnus Access to Library Services

Options
  • 27-01-2012 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anybody has dealt with the library services as an alumnus. I and another Trinity graduate (she actually graduated in the 70s, I graduated in 2010) need to use the service. Is there a charge for the service? I looked online and nothing was mentioned.

And if you used the service, did you find it the same as using the service as an undergraduate? What about things like ordering books that were off the shelf and so on, is there any problem with that? I take it that hiring books to use outside of the libraries is a no-go?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

Take a look at the Admissions page on the Library website, and scroll down to the bit dealing with Trinity College Dublin graduates.
    http://www.tcd.ie/Library/using-library/admissions.php#TrinityCollegeDublinGraduates

There is an application form that you need to fill out and deliver in person. You will receive a Graduate Reader's Ticket that will enable you to access the Libraries, and order books from Santry/Ussher stacks remotely. You will not be permitted to borrow books.

There is no charge for this service. The Admissions Desk is at the entrance to the Berkeley Library and is open 10am-4pm Mon-Fri and 9.30am-1pm on Saturdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anybody has dealt with the library services as an alumnus. I and another Trinity graduate (she actually graduated in the 70s, I graduated in 2010) need to use the service. Is there a charge for the service? I looked online and nothing was mentioned.

And if you used the service, did you find it the same as using the service as an undergraduate? What about things like ordering books that were off the shelf and so on, is there any problem with that? I take it that hiring books to use outside of the libraries is a no-go?

You basically have the same reading rights as an undergraduate, only without borrowing rights, so be prepared to do all your reading in the library. Also, you won't have access to any of the online resources outside the library building, which is a bit annoying...

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Sister Assumpta

Thanks for the info, guys

I'll drop in on Monday morning. Should I expect to be able to use my laptop to access wifi in Trinity? I know I won't be able to access online resources like college email and scholarly resources, but wifi should be ok right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Thanks for the info, guys

I'll drop in on Monday morning. Should I expect to be able to use my laptop to access wifi in Trinity? I know I won't be able to access online resources like college email and scholarly resources, but wifi should be ok right?

The Library don't deal with Wifi. You need to be a registered staff member or student to get on the TCDWifi network. If you have a computer account in another university, you might be able to use Eduroam

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Sister Assumpta

blubloblu wrote: »
    The Library don't deal with Wifi. You need to be a registered staff member or student to get on the TCDWifi network. If you have a computer account in another university, you might be able to use Eduroam
    Oh yeah I know that's nothing to do with the library, I just assumed I would be able to contact IS Services with whatever documentation I get from the library, and get set up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Gae

Oh yeah I know that's nothing to do with the library, I just assumed I would be able to contact IS Services with whatever documentation I get from the library, and get set up?

As far as I'm aware you are not allowed use the WiFi unless you are an 'official guest' (i.e. a member of staff vouches for you). If you absolutely need to use the internet while you are in there, you could get something like this: http://www.three.ie/products_services/broadband/prepay-broadband.html

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

No wifi for visitors I'm afraid. If you're registered with another Irish University you can access their intranet through eduroam - www.eduroam.ie .

Advertisement