Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can you recommend a starter kit for me please?

Options
  • 27-01-2012 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've decided to try out these e-cigs and I'm finding all this lingo fairly overwhelming. I'm a techie but did not expect the variety of products available.

I want to quit smoking and think this could be the way. There's a lot of positive comments on here and that's great.

I smoke about 15 a day (Marlboro lights). Could someone please recommend me a reasonably priced yet good quality ecig for me to try? Where is the best place to purchase?

Thanks a million :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I imported a few of these things a few months ago to give to clients in between therapy sessions. I have about 10 of them left. They are the starter packs. You can have one for free if you're serious about stopping smoking. You can either collect from me in Dublin 5 area, or cover the postage, which is €5.

Prices of these things vary wildly and is not always quality rated. The ecig that I ordered generally retail at €40-€50, because it is a starter pack. pm me if you want one. Here is a link to a youtube video of the type of e-cig I have. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqC-i5r3wtc The video is not mine by the way.

If any mods think I am spamming, or advertising, I just want to say that I am not offering these products for sale and I am just offering someone a free chance to stop smoking with one of these e-cigs I have left over. I am only offering the one pack to the op, so please, nobody else. Feel free to remove post mods.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

what brand of ecig is it you're offering him?

just curious as even though it's free it may be better to purchase something else better.. depending on what you have, obviously :)

--edit

hrm, i think with those types of ecigs the refillable cartridges can be kinda expensive and i dont even know if you can get refills in Ireland
    still, it's up to the OP and free is a great price :)

if you decide not to opt for the free one offered, i'll throw up a few links to what i'd reccomend

it's not a starter kit, but it's everything you'd find in a starter kit.. you jus thave to order the pieces seperately

http://www.irishvapers.ie/batteries/26-batego.html the batteries . you can decide for yourself whether you want the 650/900/1000mha. the bigger number means it lasts longer without needing to be charged, be warned though that the 1000mha is pretty damn big. I have 900mha's and I found them to be a good size and they'd last me a day before needing to be charged even though I was using it pretty much all day.

http://www.irishvapers.ie/cartomizers/104-dual-core-cartomizers.html the cartomiser. this is the actual vaping device. you drip your liquid onto the filler (it's really easy), it soaks it up and feeds it to the heating coil in the cartomizer. they cost around 2 euro a pop when you buy them individually and they perform well (when they perform well, as with all things e-cig.. it's possible to be unlucky and get a dud that only lasts a couple of days or just underperforms from the get-go. I was a heavy vaper when I used these and I tended to get a week out of them, which at 2 euro a pop is great. Even when I got a dud, at 2 euro a go.. i just tossed them in the bin and didn't think about them, still way cheaper than fags.

others might reccomend a tank system instead of a cartomizer, the lack of filling material to soak up juices in a tank does mean the flavour is a bit better but in general I (and many others) found tanks too unreliable, leaky and too expensive to justify the sadly short life. When tanks work, they work fantastic but iirc they cost about a tenner a go and it just wasnt worth it for me when I could get the dual coil cartomisers for 2 euro each. I was willing to sacrifice a fuller flavour for an overall better vaping experience. The dual coil cartomizers have a hotter vape, so more like a cigarette in that regard and they produce more vapour (although it's so long since i've used tanks, maybe that's not true anymore)

you'll want to get a drip tip as well, there's an option on the cartomiser page. I reccomend the plastic or the transparent.. never liked metal drip tips myself.

http://www.irishvapers.ie/chargers/120-usb-ego-charger.html

charger for your battery, usb

http://www.irishvapers.ie/chargers/78-usb-to-mains-adapter.html

usb to mains adapter

there is a 10% (iirc) discount code of BOARDS at irishvapers, and postage is free
    so assuming you get the 900mha batteries, the whole kit oughta run you about 45 euro

once you have the actual kit, you can start looking at juices. I prefer the juices over at thebestshop.eu to the irishvapers juices (sorry irishvapers :) ). The halo juices irishvapers have are meant to be amazing, but they are kinda.. high-end juices. you pay for the good stuff and with the amount I vape I'd be broke in no time if I used them regularly

thebestshop has dekang juices, which are made in china are prety damn cheap but are also pretty damn good (usually, some flavours work better than others.. and there's personal preferences to consider)

http://www.thebestshop.eu/standard-eliquid-pg-/-vg/10ml-eliquid-pg/prod_99.html

i'd reccomend you pick up 3-4 bottles of 10ml juice from here, just so you can try out a few flavours and see what you like. 18mg is probably a good starting strength, although maybe get one 11mg in case you find the 18mg too strong. at 4 euro a bottle, not the biggest investment either way.

for tobacco flavours I'd reccomend the wenston/winston, marlboro usa mix, ry4 and for non tobacco flavours the coffee and strawberry are nice.
    juices though are very much a personal thing, what I might love you might hate so you're gona have to experiment a bit there

discount code of IRISHVAPE for thebestshop.. i think it's 10%, not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

Decent pack here that is similar to above...
    The Liqua liquid is nice but pricey, depends on how much ya go through.
    http://www.thebestshop.eu/electronic-cigarette-starter-kits/ego-t-dcc-promotional-starter-kit/prod_207.html

it's on backorder on TBS derra. and TBS dont have the charger or wall plug adapter

• Advertisement

it's on backorder on TBS derra. and TBS dont have the charger or wall plug adapter

Ah never noticed it was on backorder, just grabbed the link and posted.

5pc Dual Coil Black Cartomizer LR XL - resistance1.5±0.2Ω, capacity 1.8ml
    2pc Joye eGo atomizer/battery Cone Cover
    2pc Joye eGo-T XL 900mAh black battery (with eGo-T logo and 5-clicks on/off)
    1pc Wall adapter (EU or UK) Output: 5V/500mA
    1pc Joye eGo/eGo T Fast USB Charger Output: DC 4.2V 420mA

1pc eGo Carry Case Black

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

derra wrote: »
    http://www.thebestshop.eu/electronic-cigarette-starter-kits/ego-t-dcc-promotional-starter-kit/prod_207.html[/QUOTE]

Liqua is by far and away my favourite juice. Only comes in 10ml bottles though and is expensive.

http://www.thebestshop.eu/electronic-cigarette-starter-kits/ego-t-dcc-promotional-starter-kit/prod_207.html[/QUOTE]

Liqua is by far and away my favourite juice. Only comes in 10ml bottles though and is expensive.

Look into mixing your own at some stage, works out way cheaper.

Ah never noticed it was on backorder, just grabbed the link and posted.

5pc Dual Coil Black Cartomizer LR XL - resistance1.5±0.2Ω, capacity 1.8ml
    2pc Joye eGo atomizer/battery Cone Cover
    2pc Joye eGo-T XL 900mAh black battery (with eGo-T logo and 5-clicks on/off)
    1pc Wall adapter (EU or UK) Output: 5V/500mA
    1pc Joye eGo/eGo T Fast USB Charger Output: DC 4.2V 420mA

1pc eGo Carry Case Black

dont have it in stock I meant.. dont know why I stopped typing where I did :D

dont have it in stock I meant.. dont know why I stopped typing where I did :D

:D

It's fairly difficult to pick something out with all the choices available.
    I think even the tank one might be good option for starting out, earlier i wrote they drove me mad in the end and i stand by that with the leaking etc.
    But initially starting, it's simple to just fill the tank and see what you are at then maybe get some DCC's.
    Pros and cons in each starter kit i suppose and easy in hindsight to see that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

OP here - thanks a million for your replies. They've been very helpful :)

I'd recommend the imist attomiser + tank over the carts. easier way to get started (easier to fill tanks that carts + better taste) and the imist is a tank that finally works (no leaks). see imist thread here on the forum.
    you can buy as a kit but will work with normal ego batteries if you just buy the attomiser seperately (irishavapers have atty+tank+2 replacement wicks) for 13 yoyo

Advertisement