Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short Story

Options
  • 27-01-2012 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭

This is my first attempt at a short story. Have a read and be as brutal as you need to be.

Running
    I’ve been running for so long. I don’t know what caused this or where exactly it started but it has been around a while now. For the first couple of days I didn’t believe it and to some extent I still don’t. I’m happy running and hiding and running and hiding.

So far I’ve avoided all major cities and towns but with food becoming so scarce I might have to chance it soon. The various sized villages I’ve come across are no longer viable for food. The various survivors, I think they are survivors anyway, I have seen are always in the distance and they never hang around for long. It’s the best thing to do really, keep moving and keep quiet. If you keep moving they can’t get you!

I haven’t spoken to anyone in a while, has it been days? Has it been weeks? My God, has it been months? Time has no meaning when you live with the sunrise and sunset. I was part of a group but the fire arms they possessed just drew them in closer every time they were discharged. I slipped away one night and have been on my own ever since.

It pays to be quiet these days, gone are the days of obnoxious people wandering around flapping their lips on whatever the latest mobile device was. Gone too are the planes, cars and loud house alarms. The only sounds around are the birds and wind. I haven’t heard or seen any dogs or cats since this whole charade started but I still see livestock in the fields around the countryside.

My only weapon is a crowbar at the moment. I started out with a baseball bat but when that broke I was stuck completely until I found this crowbar. It’s also great for prying things open so it’s not just a weapon in my eyes. It has come in handy when facing 1 or 2 of those things. If I had to go up against more than that I wouldn’t stand a chance.

I did have a close call a few days ago where I was almost trapped in a supermarket but I got away. From the looks of things the stronger and faster of them have come from the larger cities as if they are looking for more to sate themselves with. It’s starting to get more dangerous out there so I need to think about moving farther still.

Wait! What was that noise?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Not bad! keep it up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Forumsrule

What happens next ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

Good so far, want to read more. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

I might do a continuation in the next few days, failing that i'll do another one.

was thinking about this last night, there is a fair amount of interest in the Z short stories, reading them at least. would any of you be interested in writing a forum zombie story?

I was thinking that maybe if its okay with DB, we could hijack his story and a volunteer has maybe a week to come up with a small continuation to it. Not especially long, maybe a limit of 500 words or something. It wouldnt have to be a masterpiece, and it could be kept anonymous if needs be.

Might be something to do while we all wait for the walking dead to return :)

• Advertisement

I have no objections at all. If i can i'll try and write more short stories too.

deadly, would love to read more :)

as for my idea, i think we'll backburner that one for a while. Seems to be just me and you interested in it atm :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

just had a look through the older threads on the forum, sems there was a very strong writing group on the forum a few months ago
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056202110&page=10

and then it all seemed to just stop one day.

very Zombesque :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Bit cliche and sounds like the opening narrative to just about every zombie movie out there.

That said, I did like it very much and would love to read more :)

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Bit cliche and sounds like the opening narrative to just about every zombie movie out there.

That said, I did like it very much and would love to read more :)

Thanks for the criticism :) Just realised it there now that you are very right, i might use this to my advantage and build the next 1 or 2 off of it

• Advertisement
Advertisement