Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting off the ground: First-build.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Your best bet would be to fill out the form in my sig. However just a few things to start:

-The 2500k will be bottlenecked by the 6850. If you want to max out the latest games you'll need to get a much more powerful card

-The Antec 900 was a good case 4 years ago, but its very dated now. There are better, cheaper cases out there.

Without knowing your budget its hard to give advice, but probably something like this would be what you're looking for:

Item|Price
    Total build cost: €869.08 + €30 shipping
    Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155|€197.91
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€121.37
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€32.53
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 1000GB, SATA II (HD103SJ)|€99.90
    FRACTAL DESIGN Gehäuse DEFINE R3 Black Pearl|€93.72
    Samsung SH-222AB bare schwarz SATA|€15.97
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 650W|€68.90
    Sapphire HD 6950, 2GB GDDR5 PCI-Express|€238.78

Then depending on your budget you could:
    -Get a 7970 instead of the 6950
    -Get a 64GB or 128GB Crucial M4 as a boot drive
    -Get a more flashy case if the R3 isn't your style
    -Get a cooler for some decent overclocking

• Registered Users Posts: 31 GtotheD

deconduo.

Thanks for the reply. I have already purchased the bundle that I mentioned previously, just awaiting delivery. I won't be buying all of the components straight away, but rather over the coming weeks. So that's the motherboard, processor and RAM covered..

I'll be using Windows 7, and my budget, I'd place ideally around 900/1000, but I wouldn't be too upset going over by up to 200.

Regarding monitor, I have a HDtv I was intending on using?

Admittedly I overlooked a boot drive, do you think a 64GB would suffice?
    That case looks just fine, I like it's minimalist look.

How do you think the 6950 would fare against the use I intend it for? As for sound card, do you think inbuilt is up to the job?
    Your thoughts on a a wireless card?

Again, I am very thankful for your help.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Onboard sound is fine unless you are into music production/editing or you have an expensive set of speakers.

The 6950 is decent enough, but if you want to max the latest games I'd consider getting a 7970.

A 64GB SSD is probably worth considering on your budget, its plenty for Windows + a couple of games. I'm running fine off a 30GB drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 GtotheD

Motherboard package arrived today, as well as the all important anti-static wristband..next on the list.. hard drive, and disc drive I think.

Advertisement