Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting over stage fright

Options
  • 27-01-2012 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭

We have to have such a thread!

I found, when I started singing, hiding myself and the stage fright behind a cello (I am also a cello player) was a lot easier than actually standing infront of a crowd sharing one of the most personal things you have; the voice. My first performance ever was infront of 10 classmates and my voice broke a few times because I was so scared :o

I still get a bit frightened when I face a crowd, but since my first performance I've grown in the sense that I believe more in myself and my abilities now than I used to.

Do you have any tricks to share with me and others who may feel a little insecure? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Like you said having a physical barrier between you and the audience does help. I sing bass in choirs, so I'm always in the back row. When I did my first solo gig for a choral work, I had to be out in front. I was confident in myself, and how I was goign to sing, but it was strange, the lack of people between me and the audience was a bit unnerving. I wasn't able to stretch my legs or shift my weight at all like I used be, and ending up feeling quite stiff after the gig.
    So, if you do feel that people between you and the audience would help, maybe join a choir.

Otherwise, the only advice I can give is to go and learn your notes. I'm always most nervous if I've only half learned my lines, and the feeling when I go on stage knowing I know my ****, is fantastic.

Advertisement