Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postgraduate Courses Information

Options
  • 26-01-2012 9:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hey everyone,
    I'm currently in my final year of college in Ireland (I'm also an Irish student) and I'm considering what postgrad courses are available to me next year. I'm looking into courses in the UK, including Northern Ireland, and Scotland, but I'm confused by all of the information available about funding options for EU students. Has anyone done a postgrad course in any of these areas and had to apply for funding, if you could simplify the process for me it would be greatly appreciated! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Funding for Taught Masters courses in the UK is pretty much non-existent for Irish students (I've been looking). There's some chance you may find a small bursary or scholarship fund on a particular course funded by an outside organisation. Yorkshire Water fund a few places on Water Resource Management courses in Leeds University for example. However these are quite limited and competition is fierce. The Irish government funds nothing in England, Scotland or Wales and only offers the grant for Northern Ireland. If you're not eligible for the grant you get nothing.

Funding for research Masters degrees and doctorates is more widespread. However non-UK resident citizens are only guaranteed fees only for PhD's unfortunately from the research councils, not a living stipend. Other sources of funding are highly competitive. However some universities have other soruces of funding so investigate every avenue. It's a long road of researching every possibility OP.

Advertisement