Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay off loan with savings

Options
  • 26-01-2012 9:22pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone done something similar?

I'm tied into a loan for another 2.5 years but I'm in a position to be able to pay it off. It will obviously take sometime to get my savings up to the level again but with this out the way I can increase the amount I'm already saving. Are my looking at this too simple???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

This is money management 101. Use lower interest bearing savings to pay off higher interest loans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Most banks have a penalty they apply for paying the loan off early. Find out what the penalty is and include it in your calculations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

syklops wrote: »
    Most banks have a penalty they apply for paying the loan off early. Find out what the penalty is and include it in your calculations.

Very few banks do. The only time a bank should charge a penalty is if it is a fixed rate loan. Most personal loans are variable rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

dotsman wrote: »
    Very few banks do. The only time a bank should charge a penalty is if it is a fixed rate loan. Most personal loans are variable rate.

Fair enough.

Mine does, this is why I said it, so OP, check first is all I am saying.

Advertisement