Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best value car insurance

Options
  • 26-01-2012 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭

Hi there

My girlfriend is insuring her car and so far the best quote she has found is 788 for fully comprehensive. From personal experience which company offers the best quotes? Details are:

Car Kia Picanto
    Engine Size 1 litre
    Year 2004
    License held 1 year (no penalty points or claims)

Does anyone have any recommendations of which insurance companies to try?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jet Black

123 or no nonsense from my own personal experience. That price seems good for just one year experience and fully comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,933 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

thunderdog wrote: »
    Hi there

My girlfriend is insuring her car and so far the best quote she has found is 788 for fully comprehensive. From personal experience which company offers the best quotes? Details are:

Car Kia Picanto
    Engine Size 1 litre
    Year 2004
    License held 1 year (no penalty points or claims)

Does anyone have any recommendations of which insurance companies to try?

Cheers

That's completely impossible to answer! Your best bet, IMO, is to ring a couple of brokers (check with them which companies they check with so that you know you're getting quotes from plenty insurance companies).

I used to do the rounds, by phone, of every company I could think of - and it was completely random every time who came up with the cheapest quote. Now I just do a few brokers (Prestige, AA, chill.ie, 123.ie). I remain reasonably convinced that if I ring the same company the next day, they'll come up with a completely different quote. But I am VERY cynical at this stage.

If you have house insurance, you may get a discount from that company if you take out car insurance with them.

Also, make sure when getting quotes that you're sure you're comparing like with like - ie compulsory excess, breakdown cover, windscreen cover, NCB protection etc. These can all make a big different to premiums (premia?).

Good luck - the annual insurance renewal game raises my blood pressure to dangerous levels - I finally sorted mine this morning and am only starting to calm down now. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

Cheers for the replies. And is it good practice to "bargain" with them.As in saying to insurance company B that insurance company A quoted me this much, can you match that or better it?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,933 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

thunderdog wrote: »
    Cheers for the replies. And is it good practice to "bargain" with them.As in saying to insurance company B that insurance company A quoted me this much, can you match that or better it?

Absolutely - it's part of the game. I personally stop short of actually making up other quotes in case I get caught out - I'm a bit chicken like that. But go for it - the worst they can do is say no, and as far as I'm concerned they make up their first quote out of thin air so they're absolutely fair game for a bit of their own medicine. (Did I tell you I'm a bit cynical about insurance companies? :D)

Advertisement