Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kerosene lamp

Options
  • 26-01-2012 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭

Thinking of buying one or two of these to store for when needed around the house (power cut ect.) theres a bit to them when u get surfing.....as per usual.
    I Would like a mid range /quality lamp that would last for basically as long as i need it and BE AN APPRECIATED ASSET when needed,

Are the pressurised units a bit over the top or a must? how much kero average do they burn per hour or night and how long do wicks,mantles last? if i were to buy one i'd like to stock up on spares also.....

There only seems to be cheap china rubbish on amazon.... any suggestions with good reviews...

cheers cc30.........

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Dawn Rider

I got one last year from my local hard-wear store for €16 + a small bottle of fuel.

As long as you don't let the fuel run out while it's lit and the wick smolders, it (the wick) should last ages.

You can burn kerosene in them but it's pretty smokey and unpleasant. The lamp oil is best
    The pressurised ones are a bit OTT really, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

For the house I have a Camping Gas lantern, mainly because it burns clean, lights easy, super bright and the gas canisters are interchangeable with their stoves. I have had it 6 years now and put at least 10 canisters without changing the mantle. It looks fragile but its actually quite tough and has been bounced around my camper without any ill effects.

I also have two ex British Army "Tilley" (vapalux) lanterns which work very well. These are reasonably solid and must be 40 years old now (note: one is 1962 and the other 1976). One is a wick and the other is pressurized, the main difference between these is ease of lighting and the brightness with the wick being easier to light but not as bright as the pressurized.

Mantles last years, basically only if you touch it or burn dirty fuel do they need changing. The wick also lasts very well, I used one exclusively for a constant 6 months on a tour of Bosnia and only burnt about a quarter of a new wick.

Lighting my pressurized one can be a challenge, you have to pre-heat the fuel by burning a bit of meths (clean) or other fuel (may trash mantle). If not pre-heated correctly it can "spit" flame 4 or 5ft out of the lantern which is dangerous at home so only really outside.

If I bought new I would seriously consider the Coleman duel fuel, however these old beasts just keep on working.

Review:
    Camping Gaz - Pro's, Perfect for home, safe,bright, will not spill on its side, reliable and VERY easy to light Cons, Reliant on camping gas canisters, shoite below 3 deg

Wick - Pro's, easy to light, reliable (limited mechanical components), works in the cold Cons Not as bright, will leak if tipped on its side, can burn "dirty" if not attended (black smoke from too much fuel), not great in windy conditions

Pressurized - Pro's Bright light, should not leak when tipped, works well in wind Cons Challenge with lighting, more to go wrong so not as reliable,

Tabnabs wrote: »

We were issued these in Kossovo after a tent caught fire in winter. I had forgotten about them until you posted, but these were excellent and were soon classed as "Gucci Kit" and became very desirable. Basically most of the cons for a wick lantern can be eliminated.

I wonder if new ones have the same build quality?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

An advantage of the pressurised ones is that they give off a fair amount of heat as well as light.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

krissovo wrote: »
    If I bought new I would seriously consider the Coleman duel fuel, however these old beasts just keep on working.

The Coleman duel fuel lamps (runs on lead free petrol) light as easily as the gaz lamp, afaik they are NOT recomended for indoor use as they get very hot on top I always light them outside. When we have a powercut I use one on a table but wouldn't hang one off the ceiling.

Our local hardware does a wick lamp that wall mounts with a mirror built into the mount, they are quite decorative with coloured lamp oil in the glass base so they can be left up ready to use....

il_570xN.295873183.jpg
    .... and the clip around the base allows it to be removed from the wall and used say on a table. The pic is of an old one but its identical to the ones in the local hardware for €16.50

sfakiaman wrote: »
    An advantage of the pressurised ones is that they give off a fair amount of heat as well as light.

I forgot the heat, these used to heat a 9x9 military tents no problem, two would heat a 12x12. They also heat my old camper van on cool summer evenings. The Gas ones also kick out similar heat.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

What about ventilation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

Thanks tabs , ordered one off ebay, from germany @ 30euro (black) , see what its like and may get another if i like it, determined to get kerosene lamp, may get pressurised one next time for the added heat benifit....

thanks for all replys/help as usual...

cc30

• Registered Users Posts: 22,032 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The Coleman duel fuel lamps (runs on lead free petrol) light as easily as the gaz lamp, afaik they are NOT recomended for indoor use as they get very hot on top......
    What about ventilation?
    This!

The reason a petrol-fuelled stove or lamp should never be used indoors or inside a tent is because of the CO emissions.

I have a SVEA 123 petrol stove, and a Shinabro replica of the larger SVEA boxed type. Both are absolute furnaces, the SVEA especially.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Two Camping Gaz lanterns and 12 cans of gas. Great and prepared for any event.

Cleanest fuel around and great to store

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

I picked one of these up in the local second hand store (in Germany) for €1 :D

it's amazing what you can buy here for little money

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Granite Head

krissovo wrote: »
    I also have two ex British Army "Tilley" (vapalux) lanterns which work very well. These are reasonably solid and must be 40 years old now (note: one is 1962 and the other 1976). One is a wick and the other is pressurized, the main difference between these is ease of lighting and the brightness with the wick being easier to light but not as bright as the pressurized.

Mantles last years, basically only if you touch it or burn dirty fuel do they need changing. The wick also lasts very well, I used one exclusively for a constant 6 months on a tour of Bosnia and only burnt about a quarter of a new wick.

Lighting my pressurized one can be a challenge, you have to pre-heat the fuel by burning a bit of meths (clean) or other fuel (may trash mantle). If not pre-heated correctly it can "spit" flame 4 or 5ft out of the lantern which is dangerous at home so only really outside.

Pressurized - Pro's Bright light, should not leak when tipped, works well in wind Cons Challenge with lighting, more to go wrong so not as reliable,

+ Vapalux (320). Great for outdoors, need to be careful firing up. As far as know production has been discontinued, so availablility / parts may now be an issue.

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, The Hives, Somebody's Child, Kacey Musgraves, Sprints, Nadine Shah, Jane Weaver, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Richard Hawley, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, All Together Now, Electric Picnic, Bonny Prince Billy, Phospherescant, Ride, Dirt Birds, Arab Strap, Tommy Tiernan, The Last Dinner Party, John Grant, Iron & Wine x2, Therapy, Ezra Collective, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Fontaines DC, Amble

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

I would recommend the Coleman North Star. It takes regular petrol and lasts for ever. I've had one for the last 14 years that I've used mainly for night fishing. Themantles last long on them too. A small plus is that it is electric ignition, but can also be lit with a match.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

been looking for 'wicks' in my area [wicklow town] impossable to find???????????????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

decky1 wrote: »
    been looking for 'wicks' in my area [wicklow town] impossable to find???????????????????????
    My Dad made them out of old truck straps (if you can find the old style most are nylon now)

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭madmaxi

decky1 wrote: »

Here you go:
    http://armygearireland.com/product_info.php?cPath=67_73&products_id=424&osCsid=6c63c0fa0c75c3e52c7f1f241c1238b5

• Registered Users Posts: 22,032 ✭✭✭✭Esel

[OT] Yes, but dude, it's "MADE OF KNURLED ANODIZED ALUMINUM"! Knurled, KNURLED!! ;) [/OT]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

Holy shiz.. If thats the going rate im going into business..

• Advertisement
Advertisement