Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work 20 hours living with parents, am I entitled to anything?

Options
  • 26-01-2012 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I am just wondering if anybody can lend me some advice. I'm 22 and living at home with my parents. I finished college last may and can't get a job so I've been working part time in a shop 20hrs pw. Money is very tight, my dad used to be self employed and had to pack it in due to recession and he is 63 and health has deteriorated. He has tried to get welfare assistance but lost faith in the system so my mam is the only one earning paying mortgage, house insurance, life asurance, car loan, esb, had to cancel our vhi etcetc..although her salary looks alright when u minus the bills its nothing. Basically we were just getting by but credit cards are nearly maxed paying esb and buying groceries. Any money I earn goes towards food, coal, gas, etc esb when I can..we are now on the breadline and I couldn't name the time we last had heating oil. I work 3days pw but hope to get full time work.. Is there anything I can apply for in the mean time? Any advice would be much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

you can apply for JSA for the 2 days you currently dont work, but I'd presume it will be means tested as you are only working a year and probably wouldnt have have enough PRSI contributions for the social welfare.

I can understand why your father gave up on social welfare, it is much more difficult when you are self-employed to supply all the proof of income they need. But is you dont try, you'll never know.

The means test is based on how much money is coming in to the house rather that what is going out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

It might be well worth it for your family to go to/talk to MABS http://www.mabs.ie/ and get a good plan going for bills management/credit card repayments etc., People are finding it invaluable.

As wmpdd3 suggested, it would be worth your Dad pursuing his claim. It is difficult to get all the ducks in a row for claims after self-employment but it is possible. The Citizens Information people http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/ would give info and pointers. You don't have to submit very polished professional accounts - just once all the info is there. Bank Statements etc., will also complete the picture. It is very hard for people of your Dad's age to face the intrusion involved but you could encourage him to realise that thousands are going through the same process.

Also remember that the St Vincent de Paul http://svp.ie/Home.aspx will help in a very discreet way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Kola123

Guys thanks so much, that info has been so helpful..il get onto MABS and check out citezens info..I've always had a part time job since I was 16 and full time summer ones so I've prsi paid..how do I prove to them that we are on the breadline. Like they won't give my da a thing bcos they feel mam is earning enough that she should be able to support him..without my 20hrs pw I'm pretty sure we would have either starved or froze to death..so will I be means tested as dependant on my mam or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

If you are working that long you may be entitled to JSB, as it is not means tested. This would be 2/5 of €100 per week. ( Its €100 per week as you are below 25 years old)

JSB:

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/JobseekerSupports/JobseekersBenefit/Pages/jb.aspx
    Social insurance (PRSI) contributions
    To qualify for Jobseeker's Benefit, you must pay Class A, H or P PRSI contributions. Class A is the one paid by most private sector employees. Class H is paid by soldiers, reservists and temporary army nurses, who do not qualify for Jobseeker's Benefit until they have left the army. To qualify you need:

At least 104 weeks PRSI paid since you first started work
    And

Have 39 weeks PRSI paid or credited in the relevant tax year (a minimum of 13 weeks must be paid contributions*)
    Or

Have 26 weeks PRSI paid in the relevant tax year and 26 weeks PRSI paid in the tax year immediately before the relevant tax year.
    *If you do not have 13 paid contributions in the relevant tax year, you must have paid 13 contributions in any of the following years:

The 2 tax years before the relevant tax year
    The last complete tax year
    The current tax year.
    The Relevant Tax Year is the second last complete tax year before the year in which your claim is made. So, for claims made in 2012, the Relevant Tax Year is 2010.

There are a number of circumstances in which you can be awarded credited contributions. For example, pre-entry credits are given when you start employment for the first time in your working life. However, you can only qualify for Jobseeker's Benefit when you have actually paid 104 contributions. Credits are also awarded while you are getting certain social welfare payments, including Jobseeker's Benefit (provided it is for 6 days), Jobseeker's Allowance or Illness Benefit.

Contributions you have paid in other member states of the EU/EEA will be added to your Irish contributions. If you are applying for Jobseeker's Benefit and need the contributions paid in another EU/EEA country to help you qualify, then your last contribution must have been in Ireland.

Got that!!

I think you may have:

And

Have 39 weeks PRSI paid or credited in the relevant tax year (a minimum of 13 weeks must be paid contributions*)

Only real way to find out is to go to social welfare and apply for JSB.

If there are any younger siblings living in the house, your mother may be able to apply for FIS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    If you are working that long you may be entitled to JSB, as it is not means tested. This would be 2/5 of €100 per week. ( Its €100 per week as you are below 25 years old)

JSB:

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/JobseekerSupports/JobseekersBenefit/Pages/jb.aspx

Got that!!

I think you may have:

And

Only real way to find out is to go to social welfare and apply for JSB.

If there are any younger siblings living in the house, your mother may be able to apply for FIS.

The only problem with him being eligible for jsb is that his normal working week is a 3 day week so he would be deemed to have no substantial loss and would only qualify for jsa which is means tested.

N.B. JSB is paid at the full rate of €188 regardless of age.

Fis for mother is a good suggestion once there are younger siblings in the household.

• Advertisement
Advertisement