Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting a new choir / vocal group

Options
  • 26-01-2012 12:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hello, I hope it is appropriate to post this here.

I am putting out a call for singers for a new smallish choral group I plan to start up. Female and male, over 18, sight-reading desirable though MIDI parts available. Am currently sourcing a city centre venue and hoping to get started in early to mid-Feb.

This is not a polite, sedate "Nymphs and Shepherds" style group. I was inspired to start this by the national scandal that is the obfuscation of the legacy of the late Kate Fitzgerald. There will be plenty of songs with rude words (think Cee-Lo and Lily Allen) and political engagement. It's my belief that the sung word has a passion and power that makes a protest stronger. So if you are angry, engaged and like to sing -

Details and sign-up info here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Susan Lanigan

very gentlest of bumps - have a venue, just need people :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

I'd try posting this in the singing forum, it doesn't seem to be very focussed on classical music.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 nickibopp

city centre where, I'm assuming Dublin?

Hi Nikki

My apologies for not saying that here, yes, the venue is smack bang in Dublin city centre (I do say it on the link, lest people might think I'm a complete jackeen)

I will edit the post now.

If interested, let me know, as I'm on the lookout for more ladies :)

• Advertisement

Oh flip, I can't edit after a certain period. Apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 nickibopp

No bother Susan, I should have seen the link I was rushing.

It caught my eye because I've been wanting to set up some kind of similar ensemble down in Cork. We would maybe think about putting together some of the same stuff... There isn't a whole lot I have planned, I wanted to try some Sweet Honey in the Rock stuff, maybe resurrect and re-word some old protest stuff, Rhiannon Giddens invited me to use her We Are 99% that she did for Occupy Wall Street... I'm still at the thinking stage but I have some great singers who are interested in doing something (though I haven't exactly explained what yet as I don't yet know fully). But I wasn't really thinking of major anger and swearing and that, but maybe we could find some crossover all the same...

Ah what a pity we aren't in the same city - we could join forces. I have some brave and lovely people, but need more, particularly of the female variety.

Funny thing about the swearing is that once you sing it often enough, "f**k" is just another word. And the most pertinent issue is whether you deliver it as a terse monosyllable or stretch the -ck into the next note, as if it were a "q".

There you go, I am a complete nerd.

Good luck with your project, Nikki!

Just to say that the next rehearsal is this Tuesday at 7-9pm in Dublin city centre. PM me or at the link provided if you would be interested in coming along and want more details!

Apologies for not updating this earlier. I should have mentioned that after two months of trying I had to shelve the idea due to lack of sufficient numbers and commitment. Thanks to all who expressed an interest and apologies to them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement