Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christening Etiquette these days?

Options
  • 25-01-2012 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi, my hubby and I are expecting our first child this April. We are planning on having a Christening, have Godparent's selected etc. However we are unsure on who gets invited to these things?! Obviously our parents and the Godparents will be there, but do friends and family come to the church or just to the celebrations after? I haven't been to a Christening in a long time and I don't want it to be a drink based day either, so any and all info and suggestions are welcome :) Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭The Quadratic Equation

I've been to a few lately.

In general round here (rural area) they are mostly small family/inlaw affairs. (aunts/uncles, grandparents, grandkids etc.) Maybe a few close friends now and then, depends how large the family is I suppose. Everyone invited heads to the chapel (brings a card/small gift), takes a few photos after, then everyone usually goes together for the standard relaxed 2/3 course meal, or buffet, or a bit of home catering somewhere. The days of the big drinking session seem to be out of fashion / favour, what with drink driving, health, recession etc. Most people tend to drift home after the meal. All in all, a nice relaxed pleasant few hours really.

That's been my experience, others may be different.

God bless, and best wishes with the new arrival.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 catlover2010

Thanks Quadratic, that sounds pretty much the way we'd like it. I was worried we might have been way off the mark :p

Advertisement