Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

meindl boots

Options
  • 25-01-2012 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭

HI All,
    I bought meindl kansas boots today, hope i havent bought a dud gave 179e for them. are they worth the money, and are they good on a long day treck, thanks L

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Have had two pairs of meindl and they are class, if you look after the boots ie clean them after each hike they will last alot longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

what type wax do u use ducky

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Same as duckysauce on to my second pair and love them.
    Mine are material so don't use wax. €179 sounds fine for Meindl.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭BoonDoc

I bought the Army Pro Meindle from Great Outdoors. You really do get what you pay for.

These boots are fantastic, solid, and give excellent support for my glass ankles.

I would suggest the Meindle brand for anyone wanting a high end shoe.

And let's face it, you buy a pair that lasts you a decade. Your feet and ankles are worth it.

lab man wrote: »
    what type wax do u use ducky

not quite a wax its a meindl cleaner and proofer v good , you can get it online or in outdoors shops that sell meindl boots.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

My Nepal Pros are on their second sole. Plenty of life in them after 13 years. I do look after them well though. Waxed and proofed after every two hikes or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

I've a pair of island pro for the last 9 years, re-soled twice and very well used. I LOVE them and will buy nothing else for hill-walking. I've a pair of army pro for the last 3 years and use them every week for hunting as they are quite a bit warmer and higher than the island so are great for keeping feet warm when keeping still for long periods. I would heartily recommend either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Decgforce

Hey lads long time lurker! any reccomendations of where to get a pair of meindl boots resoled. Based in Mayo....

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭strandsman

Am thinking of buying a pair of scarpa terra boots, have any of you got any experience of these? some reviews are poor enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

hi, cant say about scarpas. but was walking on the meindl boots that i bought all day on carrauntwohill an twas like walking on carpet at the end of the day. fair comfortable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭puddles22

i bought a pair in 1998 , im a or was an outdoor instructor so the boots got a lot of use and abuse , they are stil going strong, i do an activity climbing up a small waterfall , my feet stay dry the whole time couldnt recomend them highly enough

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭jamfer

strandsman wrote: »
    Am thinking of buying a pair of scarpa terra boots, have any of you got any experience of these? some reviews are poor enough.

I got a pair of Scarpa ZG65 boots last summer. So far they have been up Kilimanjaro, Brandon, Carrauntoohil, Croagh Patrick to name but a few.

I have Meindl Borneo's too that I bought in 1998 and they have done a fair bit of trecking here in Ireland too, they are a great boot.

I would doubt the ZG65s will last as long as the Borneos though, but that is perhaps unfair, comparing an all leather boot to a synthetic / suede boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

just a bit of feedback for those looking, I had it in my mind to buy a pair of Meindl's and based on the feedback on this thread and others my mind was made up when I went into the shop.

To be fair they guy measured my foot and outright said my foot was narrow and the Meindl's are a wide fitting boot.

He let me try the boots, even put some insoles in to see if I wanted to tweak them, and then pulled out a pair of Salomon, which fit perfectly first time. Took em up the Galty's that afternoon and wore em the whole weekend up there and they were great.

I'm not knocking the Meindl's I've several mates who love them, but don't rule anything out and make sure ye get good advice on what works for you.

Cheers Hick!

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭strandsman

I settled in Berghaus, Very comfortable I must say!

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭noddyone2

Meindl are brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

used to work in an outdoor shop and we were told meindl were good for wide high volume feet

scarpa were better for long thin feet as far as i remember scarpa were meant to be a good brand

recently bought a pair of meindl burma and they seem great.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

sheesh wrote: »
    used to work in an outdoor shop and we were told meindl were good for wide high volume feet

scarpa were better for long thin feet as far as i remember scarpa were meant to be a good brand

recently bought a pair of meindl burma and they seem great.

You were told right. I worked in outdoor retail for years and have lots of experience on the hill and I always found meindl great as I have wide feet. Scarpa are excellent too but do tend to be a bit narrower fitting. For my money you can't beat the island pro, you can pretty much wear them straight out of the box, and that's a rare thing for boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Longranger wrote: »
    For my money you can't beat the island pro, you can pretty much wear them straight out of the box, and that's a rare thing for boots.
    Personally I've never found a pair of Meindl boots that would fit me properly without a lot of messing around with volume reducers, insoles and heel lifts and the like, even though I have relativity wide feet. Different manufacturers use different lasts (models of feet) to build their boots around, and they're all slightly different.

That's the thing about recommending boots to other people. All you can realistically say is that a particular make / model suits your own foot shape, but that doesn't necessarily translate to another person.

Now, I'm also lucky enough to have found a make and model of boot that fits me like a glove, and which I can quite literally order off the internet (in fact I have to, because I can't get them here!) and wear them out of the box on a 30km hike, and while if anyone asked me about my boots I'd tell them about them, but I'd never go as far as actively recommending them to anyone for the reasons I'd given above.

Alun wrote: »
    Personally I've never found a pair of Meindl boots that would fit me properly without a lot of messing around with volume reducers, insoles and heel lifts and the like, even though I have relativity wide feet. Different manufacturers use different lasts (models of feet) to build their boots around, and they're all slightly different.

That's the thing about recommending boots to other people. All you can realistically say is that a particular make / model suits your own foot shape, but that doesn't necessarily translate to another person.

Now, I'm also lucky enough to have found a make and model of boot that fits me like a glove, and which I can quite literally order off the internet (in fact I have to, because I can't get them here!) and wear them out of the box on a 30km hike, and while if anyone asked me about my boots I'd tell them about them, but I'd never go as far as actively recommending them to anyone for the reasons I'd given above.

what make are they Alun ?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 lkdsl

Decgforce wrote: »
    Hey lads long time lurker! any reccomendations of where to get a pair of meindl boots resoled. Based in Mayo....

There's a place in Dublin called CD Shoe Repairs (I think) near the canal on Charlemont Street just next door to The Barge pub. They will put on a Vibram sole for 50 as far as I know. But I think Meindl also offer the service, but don't know the cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

duckysauce wrote: »
    what make are they Alun ?
    They're Hanwag, a relatively unknown make here in Ireland. The specific model I have is the Lima GTX.

Alun wrote: »
    They're Hanwag, a relatively unknown make here in Ireland. The specific model I have is the Lima GTX.

cheers have heard they are excellent from trail mag etc thanks

Advertisement