Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new girl.

Options
  • 25-01-2012 7:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hello everyone ;)

I'm here looking for a bit of advice and local knowledge, any input/replies really appreciated!

So, I currently live on the little island of Anglesey in North Wales (I'm not Welsh however, not that it matters... anyway) and I have been visiting Dublin two or three times a year for about 4 years now. Really adore the place, who couldn't?!

I am about to take a job with Stena line, you know - the guys that run the ferries from Holyhead (where I live now) to Dublin port. Basically the opportunity will be there for me to spend a lot more time in Dublin City and perhaps even move over there before too long, which is something I have been dreaming of doing since my first visit :)

My questions are mainly about what Dublin life is really like. I've only ever really seen the tourism side of things before. What are the best ways to meet new people, get involved with whats going on (or even just finding out what IS going on!), The best places to live, making the most of the city, making new friends etc etc! Any advice and ideas would be great and muchly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read my first post! ;) Abi.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Babikins wrote: »
    My questions are mainly about what Dublin life is really like.

That's a pretty huge question. What Dublin is about depends on what you're interested in yourself. If it was a smaller town, you might be forced to rely on what it has to offer, but it's fairly diverse, so you can make your own fun. What are your interests?

Meeting people used to be done in pubs and the like, but it's different now. Although there is always the Boards.ie pub meetings. There are also bookclubs (both Boards and non-Boards) if that's your thing. Language classes (if you know Welsh, you could offer a Welsh-Irish exchange?) might be another option.

Good luck with your new job though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Babikins

That's a pretty huge question. What Dublin is about depends on what you're interested in yourself. If it was a smaller town, you might be forced to rely on what it has to offer, but it's fairly diverse, so you can make your own fun. What are your interests?

Meeting people used to be done in pubs and the like, but it's different now. Although there is always the Boards.ie pub meetings. There are also bookclubs (both Boards and non-Boards) if that's your thing. Language classes (if you know Welsh, you could offer a Welsh-Irish exchange?) might be another option.

Good luck with your new job though!

Thanks ever so much for the reply! It is a huge question, I guess I'm hoping for lots of different answers to give me good starting points :)

The book clubs sound like a really good idea, I'm a bit of a bookworm when I finally find the time. I really like being outdoors and seeing new places too, Dublin has so much to offer and I love to learn. Are you part of any groups/social event type things at all? And thank you for the good luck, my final stage of interview is tomorrow morning! I've sort of been given the nod already, but theres still time for me to make a mistake ha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

I've been meaning to go to this for a while, but haven't got around to it yet. It seems fairly easy going and if I recall, they meet in the wonderful Library Bar just off George's Street.

I wouldn't be much of an outdoors-y type person (at least I'm not at the moment) but I know there are lots of walking clubs and things like that, but have no idea where you'd go to sign-up or which ones are good. Lots of walking around the Dublin mountains and Wicklow.

Advertisement